mass create virtual servers

I have a Reseller account on a Vmin Pro box, but I think that the feature for mass create virtual servers is not available to me.

I am unable to locate any documentation or screen shots, or details about what batch create looks like, or how to assign a Vmin Template during the import process.

Along those lines, I am looking for info on creating a Template automatically install a couple of applications via Install Apps. The Templates page in the doc talks about file system skeletons, but not necessarily using Install Apps to make sure the new domain has the latest.

Thanks,
K

Howdy,

When you log into Virtualmin, do you see an option on the bottom-left called “Add Virtual Servers”? Within that should be a “Batch Create Servers”. If it’s not there, it’s likely that it was disabled by the admin.

Regarding Install scripts – I’m still familiarizing myself with how the new “Account Plans” work in the latest Virtualmin – though in previous versions, that’s a feature that could be enabled within the “Server Templates”, in “Default Script Installers”.

Which, at that time, unfortunately meant that you’d need to work with your account admin to add that into the server templates you have access to.

Now, with the account plans, that may change things, though you might need to explore to see if that feature is available or not :slight_smile:

As a reseller, if there’s features you’d like to see but don’t, let us know!

Assuming it’s not something that the admin had disabled, we’d certainly like to hear how to improve a resellers experience :slight_smile:

Thanks,
-Eric

Hi Ken,

Well, the “Server Templates” contain a lot of stuff that require sysadmin access to the machine, and thus aren’t available to resellers.

That is a limitation, as there are things in there you as a reseller would want to tweak – and that’s where the Account Plans idea was born.

So if you don’t see a way to do what you want from the Account Plans – that’s where you may need to ask your host to manually add certain settings into your Server Template for you.

However, if you find yourself needing to tweak things that you don’t have access to, that may be a design bug – let us know what you’d like to be able to tweak, so we can look into adding that into future versions.

Regarding the easiest way to see the Virtualmin root experience – I’d recommend logging into the Demo system hosted here on the Virtualmin site. There’s a “Demo” link below.

Thanks,
-Eric

I didn't see Add Servers down there. I was looking next to Create Server on the main menu. Are those options non-adjacent for a reason?

The upper part of the left-hand menu is for server specific changes–Create Server is there because 2 of it’s three possibilities are server-specific Sub-server and Alias creation. This will change soon, and Create Server will be separate, while Sub-server and Alias will be in the per-server menu.

The Add Servers is among the things unrelated to the current server…because it is primarily used for purposes unrelated to existing virtual servers.

There is logic behind it. But, I also think the menus could use a little bit of massaging and cleaning up.

Thanks, Joe!

I am working this through my host, to either have my Template created for me, or have that function enabled in my Reseller account.

Thanks,
K

Thanks, Eric. I don’t know why I didn’t see Add Servers down there. I was looking next to Create Server on the main menu. Are those options non-adjacent for a reason?

Would it make sense to put on the Create Servers screen a sentence like:"You can also {Link}Batch Create Servers{/Link}"?

I also the link for Account Plans now, but on that screen, don’t see anything about running Install Scripts automatically.

I definitely don’t see Server Templates or Default Script Installers.

Is the easiest way to see the Virtualmin root experience via the AMI?

Meanwhile, I am asking my host to enable my Reseller account to create Server Templates.

Thanks,
Ken

Thanks, Eric. I don’t know why I didn’t see Add Servers down there. I was looking next to Create Server on the main menu. Are those options non-adjacent for a reason?

Would it make sense to put on the Create Servers screen a sentence like:"You can also {Link}Batch Create Servers{/Link}"?

I also the link for Account Plans now, but on that screen, don’t see anything about running Install Scripts automatically.

Meanwhile, I am asking my host to enable my Reseller account to create Server Templates.

Thanks,
Ken

Thanks,
Ken