Manually updating Virtualmin package

Hello everybody.
I managed to setup Virtualmin as control panel on my VPS and everything is running great. The documentation helped me out a lot. I’m also very interested in the import from Direct Admin feature that is currently under development. Jamie sent me a custom RPM package that I could use to test the feature and provide feedback.

The problem however is that I have no clue how I should manually update my Virtualmin cp with the RPM-package that I received. The only information that I could find in the documentation is how to use the RPM-packages for a fresh install.

To be very specific I have 2 questions:

• How can I install the custom RPM package?
  • Will I still be able to easy update to the latest Virtualmin release from within the cp itself when I have manually updated?

I installed Virtual by using the automated installation procedure.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Howdy,

Just to verify – are you using Virtualmin on CentOS? And when you performed your initial installation, was that using the install.sh script?

It sounds like that’s what you’re saying, I just wanted to make sure.

In that case, what you could do is copy that .rpm file to your server, and then run this command:

rpm -Uvh VIRTUALMIN_FILE.rpm

Where “VIRTUALMIN_FILE.rpm” is the .rpm file you with to install.

That shouldn’t cause problems with updates after the version you have there.

-Eric

Hey Eric, thanks for your quick response & help.
I’m using Virtualmin on Ubuntu 12.04 x64 and used the install.sh script.
After some more googling I learned that Ubuntu doesn’t use .rpm packages.

So first of all I should convert the .rpm package to Debian (Explained here http://www.unixmen.com/howto-install-rpm-packages-on-ubuntu/). Or is it better to ask Jamie for the correct Debian package from the start?

Secondly I should use the command to run the update. Which command would that be?

Howdy,

I would not recommend converting the .rpm into a .deb file, I’d suggest getting a .deb version from Jamie. Alternatively, it shouldn’t be too much longer before the new Virtualmin version is released.

-Eric

I received the .deb version from Jamie.

Is the following procedure correct?

1. Copy the “VIRTUALMIN_FILE.deb” to the root folder of my server
  2. Run the following command: apt-get upgrade VIRTUALMIN_FILE.deb

Thanks a lot Eric for helping me out with this!

Howdy,

No, that unfortunately won’t work in your case – apt-get only knows how to read from remote apt repositories.

You should be able to use something like this:

dpkg -i VIRTUALMIN_FILE.deb

That worked. Thanks a lot!