Mailman mailing list administration URLs not working.

I have a 2 day old virtualmin on a Ubuntu trusty server.

The problem is when I try to use the mailman admin URLs the server isn’t found.

If I hit the “Tend to pending moderator requests” within the mailman module it takes me to
There I get a “Server not found Firefox can’t find the server at”
Of course mydomain = my real domain name which works.

It seems the mail subdomain is not set up. The rest of the URL seems sensible.

I think mailman came bundled with the virtualmin package but I’ve installed so much stuff in the last few days I could be mistaken.
Thanx in advance for clues.


Is DNS being hosted at a third party?

If so, you would need to manually setup those DNS records at your DNS provider.

That is, you would need to create a DNS ‘A’ or ‘CNAME’ record for “” that points to your server.


That got me further. The server is now found but the URL is not.
The requested URL /virtualmin-mailman/admindb.cgi/list was not found on this server.

admindb.cgi lives in /usr/share/webmin/virtualmin-mailman

I tried modifying some of the settings in the mailman module but I haven’t found much info on what they should be.

I’ve done back to the defaults apart for Mailman base directory = /var/lib/mailman because the default didn’t work. The default is /usr/local/mailman

.php works fine on my server but I’m not sure .cgi has been tested.

Hmm, I believe it would usually be accessing that URL via Virtualmin… what happens if you add port 10000 to that?

For example, does this URL here work for you:

Nice try but no that doesn’t work.
I needed to change to https but it then just gives a login prompt.
Trying again I got a unknown referers error.
Yes that was the link used went trying to get to the admin page from inside virtualmin

The link that would normally be used is
It also gives -
The requested URL /mailman/admindb/list was not found on this server.

The problem seems to be related to the migration of the lists from the old server.
If I create a fresh list it works perfectly.
The new list URL doesn’t use the mail subdomain but does use cgi-bin

Removing the “mail.” from the “bad” url lets me see the admin page but hitting “submit” data fails.

I suspect the old server had a properly configured mail subdomain which is now lacking.

The solution may lie in a local config file - I’ve been hunting in the global config up to now.
The problem appears to be in the local config.pck file.

Finally I found the systax for “withlist” here.

In my case I’d cd to /var/lib/mailman/lists
and run
withlist -l -r fix_url mylistname -u

Restarted mailman and the admin URLs from the webmin mailman module worked.
Any old links in list emails were still broken and new list messages now have working links.