Mailman and Postfix trouble - where to start check

Hi, I tried to use Virtualmin GPL version to setup some mailman lists.

I get the following answers if users try to mail to mailman-request:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

mailman-request@s3.example.com
SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<mailman-request@s3.it-treuhand.eu>:
host s3.example.com [78.78.78.78]: 550 5.1.1 <mailman-request@s3.exapmle.com>:
Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table

What are the starting points to troubleshoot Mailman and Postfix with Virtualmin?

A couple of things are happening here:

mailman-request is where requests for the "mailman" mailing list go…not user-created lists. This is purely intended for the administrator(s) to get mailman related information, as far as I know. So, users should have no reason to mail to mailman-request. It should still work, though. :wink:

So, the mailman list is a special list that has to exist before mailman will even start…if you didn’t use our install.sh script to install Virtualmin, this list may have never been created or created improperly (and, even if you did use install.sh…maybe something went wrong).

Anyway, see if you have a mailman list using the list_lists command.

If not, create it using the newlist command, and add the suggested aliases to the /etc/aliases file, and then run newaliases.

You haven’t identified your OS/version, so I can’t tell you where these commands are–they’re in different places on different systems.

The key bit actually missing is the aliases for the mailman- addresses. Something along these lines (but these paths are almost certainly wrong–you MUST correct them to match where the mailman binary resides on your system):

mailman: "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman"
mailman-admin: "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin mailman"
mailman-bounces: "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces mailman"
mailman-confirm: "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman confirm mailman"
mailman-join: "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join mailman"
mailman-leave: "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman leave mailman"
mailman-owner: "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner mailman"
mailman-request: "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request mailman"
mailman-subscribe: "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe mailman"
mailman-unsubscribe: "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe mailman"

But, again…there’s no reason for users to send email to the mailman-request address. They will send to “listname-request” for whatever value of “listname” they are subscribed to.