Mailboxes for the Domain of an Alias Server

Hello,
I installed Virtualmin to a fresh Debian 5.0 server with ldap support.
How can i create Mailboxes (and maybe but not so important at the moment Ftp-Users)
which use the Domain of an Alias server?
I created a Virtual Server for some domain.tld and later added an Alias Server domain2.tld to it.
When i activate the Alias Server the menu for “Edit Mail and FTP Users” is missing.
As i´m new to all that virtualmin stuff i´ve got no idea if or which configs would be helpful to post here.
I´m not really happy with the Mail alias mode Catchall forwarding because i would like to
have mailboxes for all domains.

Thanks so far

Matthias

ps.: I already used the search feature of this forum and read already dozens of threads which
could fit to my problem but i did not find anything what would help me.

Matthias,

Not sure if this is what you are after or not, but…

I have my main domain, acorp.net. I have another domain, dakotacorp.biz that is aliased to acorp.net.

I have not defined any mailboxes, users, etc. for dakotacorp.biz…however, if anyone sends a message to “legituser@dakotacorp.biz”, that automatically ends up in the mailbox of “legituser@acorp.net

For what it is worth, if “legituser@dakotacorp.biz” tries to log in to my FTP server, that doesn’t work…they have to log in as “legituser@acorp.net.” I am using VSFTP for my FTP server.

I also believe that if “legituser@dakotacorp.biz” attempts to log in to my webmail (I use RoundCube), once again access is denied, and they have to log in as “legituser@acorp.net”.

Does that help?

• Acorp

www.acorp.net

Acorp, thanks for reply.
I think you describe the actual standard behavior of virtualmin.
My problem is that i have an uglylongname.tld because nicename.tld was in use by
someone else. After nicename.tld was free again i bought it and now i want to have
nicename.tld as mailbox and login but i also want to be able to choose freely
the domain for new mailboxes as well. I´m missing some kind of dropdown
where i can choose all domains i have in a virtual server.

I migrated from an handmade solution with postfix and mysql where i could
create mailboxes with any domain i wanted to.
I was able to login into my mailbox with every domain i had.

So i still wonder how i can manage this with virtualmin and hope somebody can help.

Greets

Matthias

Howdy,

Yeah, unfortunately, I don’t know that you’re going to be able to do what you’re after.

When you setup an email alias, all that does is create a link within the Postfix virtual file (or potentially the aliases file) telling Postfix what system account to deliver email to.

However, when Postfix, Dovecot, and/or Saslauthd perform authentication, they aren’t looking at the virtual or aliases file, they’re looking for valid Linux system accounts.

Also, in regards to adding a Virtual Server alias – I don’t believe that’s going to function in the way you’re after either. The Alias Servers don’t come with the ability to create email accounts within them – they simply forward all email to the primary Virtual Server.

In your case – it sounds like what you’d need to do is a bit of refactoring of your setup there :slight_smile:

Perhaps you could create “nicename.tld” as a new top-level Virtual Server, migrate your users and websites over to it, then delete “uglylongname.tld” as a top-level Virtual Server, and re-create it as an alias of “nicename.tld”.

Another way to do that might be to just use the “Rename Domain” feature – and rename uglylongname.tld to nicename.tld, which would prevent you from having to migrate anything.

At that point, you could just create uglylongname.tld as an Alias Server.

-Eric