Mail system blues due to blacklisted IP addresses

In Virtualmin version 6.12 and beyond, the exact username is listed at Virtualmin -> Edit Users and click the button “Email Client Settings”.

I thank you all for your support, but I think I’m going to cut my losses with this Panel. Sad because I started to like it. I installed another copy in another server, and I’m able to install SSL on the Hostname but, all browsers keep saying otherwise. Now SSL won’t install on any VS. Round Cube is still not working. some say this panel is easy and some say otherwise. I’ve used many others and never faced all these problematic issues. TY

sorry we can’t help you, I’m sure some more experienced users may provide an idea where the problem is. however, I’d say that it is something unusual going on. email on Virtualmin works out of the box anytime I have setup.

soembody else logging in and having a look might help you. I could do that if you wanted.

one other thing to try is to check the Usermin email,
edit the user and select the login to Usermin and send email that way

one other question, are you sure the DNS is fully correct
(sorry if it’s a stupid question ;o))

another follow up,

what do you have in Networking, Hostname and DNS Client

I can’t find a way around this. I’m giving it one last shot. I’m going on my fifth delete and re-installation. One thing I’ve noticed is, that the new 1.955 upgrade has an option to create a VS with the Host and install Let’s automatically. I’ve said yes to all installs and none have been able to work. I’m trying it this time without the option and see what happens. I’ll get back to you in a minute. TY

Please also let us know that exact username, hostname and related settings which you are applying to Vtiger to get it to access email form a Virtualmin virtual server.

Hint: hostname should be hostname of your Virtualmin system, not smtp.domain.tld or imap.domain.tld or pop.domain.tld.

I actually tried hostname for for outgoing mail and it worked. it would send mail but the mail wouldn’t reach its destination. I tried it in Round Cube and same issue.

I would point out that the issue of mail not reaching destination could be related to

• port 25 block
  • RDNS
  • Blacklisted IP
  • DNS records incorrectly configured, in case you are using a DNS service external to Virtualmin

All these are causes unrelated to Virtualmin. If you install any other panel, you will likely get the same result with mail. Please review this response and answer my question. We are keen to help you solve the problem.

Cal, I’ve never had these issue…I got tired of CWP and Modsec…

We are attempting to help you, if you will let us. You have received some inputs and suggestions from @briand, @RJM_Web_Design and @adamjedgar, who are all experienced Virtualmin users.

We need specific info from you to take this further. I had asked what hostname and login name you are specifying in Vtiger but that question goes unanswered. You say you have never had issues with port 25 block, RDNS and blacklisted IP address but @RJM_Web_Design provided links that indicate that the IP addresses that you have mentioned in your logs are not only blacklisted multiple times but also tainted. No panel (CWP, Modsec et al) could send out email from those IP addresses which will be delivered, I am quite sure.

In spite of this, we could help you find a way forward if you provide answers to specific questions which have been put to you.

At this point the only thing I can do is laugh… Now it keeps saying Connection to Server Lost…:slight_smile:

I have not been able to provide that because I’ve since deleted the VTiger instance. As soon as I get another one installed, and providing it’s working, I’ll send you that. TY

Right now the issue I’m having is with the SSL on the Host. Even though Let’s installed it, I can’t get browsers to show as secured…

O.K . I was able to secure with SSL. Now, you’re saying that mail should work right out the box. I’ll try that.

Calport, I have SSL working properly and emails are working only between users in Round Cube. It’s not accepting emails from outside sources and all emails sent to outside sources are sent to junk. Is there another config for outside mailing?. TY

To be honest you need to understand and read up a lot more about mail setup

When you send email there a few considerations to check. I suspect none of that is setup.
You should be getting reasons why an email is getting junked.

We’ve all spent a long time trying to get confirmation optimised. I’ve had to spend hours in the last two weeks rechecking my configuration and changing parameters. It’s difficult doing it blind with the lack of information you are providing

I do understand where you come from but you can’t blame virtualmin for the issues.

Why is your SSL working now and not earlier, what did you do.

Postfix has a few configuration fields that need setup, for example to check for invalid domains, no reverse DNS, span etc (I’m on my mobile do don’t have the settings to hand)

I hope you stick with it as I’m sure you’ll find virtualmin will make the setup easier.

I’ve been helped over the years so happy to help as best I can

I hope you take this constructively :grin:

in Postfix,
I’m referring to option settings in these two fields:

– Restrictions on sender addresses
– Restrictions on recipient addresses

this is only a partial setting:
– reject_non_fqdn_sender reject_unknown_sender_domain
for example if you don’t have these setup then anyone can send through your system and cause you to be blacklisted.

there is also various settings in “SMTP Authentication And Encryption”

as mentioned above, if you haven’t got these settings correct you can quickly have problems.

I got blacklisted on one of my servers two years ago, and managed to resolve it by sorting out my issues. and I have had to spend a lot of time keeping on top of settings for postfix and dovecot

I was able to fix most issues by re-reading configs again. I had changed ns1.domain to nx1.domain on Host name and I didn’t change it at the domain level in Godaddy as well as the A and MX records. All seem to be working fine now, but I still have the issue of email not coming in from outside sources. E-mail going out is no longer going into junk either…

I don’t quite know what you mean by the changes you made.
why is email not now going out to junk ??
what changes did you make?

I suspect similar changes are required to get your incoming mail sorted.
people on this forum can help, but you are not providing any information to allow us to help you.

I trust you will now apologise to the good people at Virtualmin for the aspersions mentioned previously.

When I set the panel up for the first time I used ns1.intrelligent.net as the host, then I changed it to nx1.intrelligent.net, but i didn’t change the NS on the domain at Godaddy.com and on the server. So, Let’s was looking for ns1. Also, I added mail.intrelligent.net to the MX record. It’s working but not receiving.