Mail status -bounced

Hi,
My host recently had a massive failure and I had to set everything up all over again. I didnt have any recent backups so did a lot of the configuration manually including transferring some of the old emails over to the new server.

I have been looking through the logs and 2 errors I havent been able to resolve

One is in mail.info logs and is

to=www-data@webmmg.example.org, orig_to=, relay=local, delay=0.11, delays=0.07/0.01/0/0.03, dsn=5.2.0, status=bounced (can’t create user output file. Command output: procmail: Unable to treat as directory “/var/www/Maildir” procmail: Error while writing to “/var/www/Maildir” procmail: Unable to treat as directory “/var/www/Maildir” procmail: Lock failure on “/var/www/Maildir.lock” procmail: Error while writing to “/var/www/Maildir” )

I am not sure why it is trying to write to /var/ww/maildir when email is under /home/user/homes/Maildir

any help would be great, Thanks!

Howdy,

Yeah, it looks like it’s trying to deliver to the wrong location… there’s a couple of things you could check.

First, take a look at /etc/procmailrc, and check the values of ORGMAIL and DEFAULT – they should both be set to “$HOME/Maildir/”.

Second, if you look at /etc/postfix/main.cf, make sure that “home_mailbox” is set to “Maildir/”.

-Eric

Thnaks for the quick reply andrey!

Checked both and both are as stated. What should the default mydestination be and could that have anything to do with it? mine is currently

mydestination = localhost.org, localhost, $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, example.org

Howdy,

What you have above looks good so far… the one thing you’d want to verify is that whatever output that the command “hostname” produces, you’d want to make sure that exact name was listed in the mydestination line.

-Eric

I ended up just reinstalling and starting from scratch and that has resolved the issue. So I can only assume that it was some setting that I stuffed up along the way.