mail relay & attachments

I am relaying e-mails through my isp’s mail server. When sending e-mails with attachments, could these be stopped in any way by the isp’s mail server? I tried to send an e-mail with two jpg attachments, not even that big, 500KB each and i got:

Mar 20 17:50:39 ns1 postfix/smtp[5927]: C42511BC87F: to=name@domain.com, relay=mail.isp.com[xxx.xx.x.xx]:25, delay=88820, delays=88256/0.01/0.23/563, dsn=4.4.2, status=deferred (lost connection with mail.isp.com[xxx.xx.x.xx] while sending message body)

Tried sending an email without and it went through, so i can only assume it has to do with attachments.

I’d also like to know if there’s a way to avoid having to relay e-mails through my isp?
What other methods are there, can I use gmail, are there any downsides?

Yeah, that’s saying that the remote server dropped the connection while your server was communicating with them. If you’re seeing that primarily while sending attachments, it could be related to a max message size problem… I’d make sure that the attachments you’re sending aren’t too large for what your ISP accepts.

-Eric

Alright thanks. I’m on a static ip, I have removed the relay and it appears that sending e-mail directly is working, I thought I had to relay through my isp, apparently not.

Without relaying through my isp’s mailserver I got this.

Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host
[xx.xxx.xxx.xx] blocked using rbl-plus.mail-abuse.org

It happened when I tried to send an e-mail to a forwarded address.

have removed the relay and it appears that sending e-mail directly is working, I thought I had to relay through my isp, apparently not.

In many cases, when using a residential Internet connection, you’ll see problems when trying to directly send email to servers on the Net… they want you to relay through your ISP (in the hopes of reducing spam).

It sounds like your particular IP is on a blacklist somewhere, probably one due to being on a residential line… you can get a better idea of the exact reason by entering your IP into here, then seeing what blacklists it’s on:

http://www.anti-abuse.org/multi-rbl-check/

However, it sounds like you may need to troubleshoot why you can’t relay through your ISP :slight_smile:

-Eric

Yeah, i had to set up the relay again. I did check the ip (which is static), it came out negative on all those blacklists, so maybe there are others i don’t know. I am considering moving my server to a serverfarm.

Thanks for helping out though:)