Mail Quota problem

Hello,

i have mail quota problem on my server. When our customers want to connect their mailboxes, they receive an error message about quota problem both from webmail and Outlook Express. So i think that hard quota problem.

But how can i fix the problem from webmin panel?

so when i fix the problem, i try to change an user account a@abc.com quota from Webmin> System>Disk Quotas /users part (that listed below) to soft quota. When i want to connect from webmail, i reach the a@abc.com mailbox succesfully. But i can not reach the b@abc.com because of i did not change it to soft quota.

Filesystem Type Mounted From Status Action
[size=1]/ (users) Linux Native Filesystem Partition labelled / User and Group Quotas Active Disable Quotas[/size]
/ (groups)

At this point, i want to change the group quota for abc.com. instead of change all mail accounts one by one. But when i change the group quota, there is no change about quota problem. i connect to a@abc.com mailbox, bu i can not connect b@abc.com mailbox.

If this is not the solution, please say how can i solve this quota problem?

Thanks. <br><br>Post edited by: nihal, at: 2009/04/15 23:16

Well, if you’re using Virtualmin, but changing the quota from withing Webmin, you could end up running into trouble down the road.

If you’re using Virtualmin, what I’d recommend doing is going into Edit Virtual Server -> Quotas and Limits, and check there to make sure the total server quota is high enough.

Then, go into Edit Mail and FTP Users, and make sure the individual user quotas are high enough.
-Eric

But when i change the user quota from virtualmin like you say, and user reach the new qouta again, he can not open mailbox from neither webmail nor outlook.

The problem continue again.

Well, changing the numbers associated with both the total server limit and the individual limit should raise the quota, and allow email to be checked.

At that point, what error is webmail/outlook giving?

Also, do you see any errors in /var/log/maillog or /var/log/mail.log? I’m curious if there’s a secondary problem going on. Sometimes, when a quota fills up, Dovecot’s index files get corrupted (which is fixable).
-Eric

But when i change the user quota from virtualmin like you say, and user reach the new qouta again, he can not open mailbox from neither webmail nor outlook.

If /var is on a different partition than /home, you can put the index and control files outside of the control of quotas. This is the only way I know of to deal with this issue (while still enforcing quotas). Quotas are designed to prevent over usage, and that’s what they’re doing…the POP and IMAP server creates index files when it loads the mailbox for the user, which takes space.

The install.sh script sets things up this way automatically, but it won’t actually have an impact if /var is on the same partition as /home.