Mail on external server

I have a server that was originally going to be all in one type server, website, mail ftp, etc.
Since, the customer has moved their email to a hosted exchange solutions.
When the site generates form emails, they are getting held up with the following error:

The e-mail system was unable to deliver the message, but did not report a specific reason.  Check the address and try again.  If it still fails, contact your system administrator.
        < te10.workithosting.com #5.0.0 X-Postfix; User unknown in virtual alias table>

I have disabled all of the mail features for this server but it still tries to accept mail for users when the email is generated from localhost.

Any thoughts on how to clear this up?

Howdy,

So, it does sound like it’s still trying to deliver the email locally.

Assuming for a moment that the Virtual Server in question is “example.com” – if you were to log into your Virtualmin box, and type:

host -t MX example.com

Does the IP it returns correctly point to your Exchange server?

-Eric

Actually no, it is appending the dns with the domain name.

coastaltelecom.net mail is handled by 10 coastaltelecom.net.1.0001.arsmtp.com.co astaltelecom.net.

Do I need to create a master zone for this?

Howdy,

It sounds like you may just need to tweak your MX record.

If that’s stored in Virtualmin, you can change the MX record in Services -> DNS Domain. Make sure that the name of your mail server ends with a “.”.

So if the mail server is mailserver.com, the DNS record for that should look like:

mailserver.com.

The “.” at the end says not to append the domain name – that the preceding name is the “full” name of the server.

-Eric

That did it, thanks.