mail client can't send email

Hi, we just re-installed our server, and the clients can recieve email, but when they try to send we get the following error:

Task ‘astevens@atiptopcomputer.com - Sending’ reported error (0x800CCC0D) : ‘Cannot find the e-mail server. Verify the server information in your account properties.’

how can we resolve this, I havent changed any of the ports so it should be on default ports

Many thanks

Howdy,

What sort of errors are you seeing in the email logs?

Where those are depends on what distro you installed, but it’s likely either /var/log/maillog or /var/log/mail.log.

Thanks!

-Eric

Hi, it wouldn’t let me paste the contents of the log, so I used a pastebin site, here are the results:

http://pastebin.mozilla.org/668269

I am not sure what to look for, as far as issues go?

Many thanks

Well, I don’t see any errors in that – but I also don’t see any attempts to connect via SMTP.

If you browse the logs just after attempting to send an email, do you see anything unusual?

But, it’s also possible that your ISP is blocking outgoing SMTP port 25 – you may want to try on an alternate port, such as using the SSL-based 465 or 587 for outgoing SMTP.

-Eric

how do I change the port in virtualmin to a SSl port?

Well, what I was initially referring to was to make sure the desktop mail clients were set to use the SSL port on your server.

However, you may first want to verify that it’s enabled – if that’s not setup, that could potentially cause what you’re seeing.

To do that, log into your server using SSH, and edit /etc/postfix/master.cf.

You’ll see these lines near the top – make sure that they are uncommented (that is, there should be no # mark in the front of each line):

submission inet n - - - - smtpd -o smtpd_tls_security_level=encrypt -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes -o smtpd_client_restrictions=permit_sasl_authenticated,reject -o milter_macro_daemon_name=ORIGINATING smtps inet n - - - - smtpd -o smtpd_tls_wrappermode=yes -o smtpd_sasl_auth_enable=yes -o smtpd_client_restrictions=permit_sasl_authenticated,reject -o milter_macro_daemon_name=ORIGINATING

Once you do that, restart Postfix:

/etc/init.d/postfix restart

At that point, are you able to send emails?

-Eric