LXD containers Ubuntu 16.04 - supported?

Been testing changing from KVM to LXD for virtual machines. I’m currently on Ubuntu 14.04. I can not get cloudmin to work with LXD in 14.04. Not sure if its LXD issue or cloudmin config issue. So before I spend hours or weeks troubleshooting that, can I ask if LXD containers is working in cloudmin for 16.04? In testing I have found that the commands for LXD in 14.04 and 16.04 are vastly different. Thus the reason for asking.

FYI - LXD in 14.04 is installed via apt-get and in 16.04 is installed via snap install lxd. Commands for creating,listing etc is different in each version. I’m not sure which one “ubuntu” is concentrating on although in their openstack guide they are recommending snap install.

In case no one has tried it and wants to, Couple of hickups in the 16.04 lxd install. Be sure to apt purge lxd before installing via snap install lxd. Apt version supposedly has been recently removed from default 16.04 install but depending on how old the image is for the install, it could be active. Both apt and snap versions can be installed without warning, but apt version must be removed before snap version will work.

So, anyone on 16.04 with LXD images and cloudmin managing them?

There’s currently no support for LXD. Uptake hasn’t been very high, and we haven’t had anyone, that I recall, ask for it. I’ve always liked LXC (and LXC makes a lot more sense for hosting than Docker, even though we got gazillion more Docker requests than LXC), but LXD doesn’t seem to have much mindshare for hosting, so it hasn’t been a priority.

LXD is a set of overlay tools for LXC, so it wouldn’t Just Work in Cloudmin, even though it uses LXC under the hood. There’s definitely no one managing LXD with Cloudmin (unless they built the virtualization plugin themselves without us knowing about it). We’d have to write some code to support it. I wouldn’t rule it out, but I’d also want to see it being used in the hosting industry more widely before commiting to yet another virtualization type (we already support too many to maintain effectively with the amount of dev time we have available).

LXC/LXD is so simple and efficient, I don’t know why no one uses it!. Wait, it doesn’t have a cool name like Docker with that tasty whale meat logo.

Uptake no good I agree, the reason I believe is because Ubuntu has changed it so much lately that no one can get it working easily or it breaks when there is an update. The instructions on ubuntu site are so simple, yet dont work without some backend prep, which I found no mention of anywhere. I spent the last month researching instructions online. Finally piecing together commands here and there to get a working LXD/LXC.

I’ve created some custom commands in webmin to list, start, stop, create containers. If I can configure a couple more commands to add/delete/edit interfaces, I’ll be set I think for the basics of a virtual machine. I have no knowledge of API stuff, so issuing the ‘command line’ commands via webmin/other/custom commands is my way of not having to remember or retype it every time.

I’ll try to type up a guide on getting LXd running in case any others are interested.

Thanks for the read and consideration.

If you ever wrote a guide I would be interested in seeing it. I’m switching my entire infrastructure to LXD 3.0 at the moment. I also recommend add/delete/edit disk mount points (lxc config device add sharename disk …)

Sorry I haven’t gotten around to it. Been working on “webmin custom commands” to manage some of the basics. And the last few installs of LXD on 16.04 went smoothly so figured the kinks where ironed out. But there are some things you have to setup prior so I’ll try to get back on this. FYI, I’m not one of the webmin guys, just a server admin trying to make LXD point and click within webmin. OR at least have the commands handy so I don’t have to remember them all.