Lost Password !

I got all the way through getting the Virtualmin Pro image running on Amazon EC2. Everything is working great!

EXCEPT that I blew it when I changed the Password through Webmin/Virtualmin. I screwed it up and I can no longer log in through Virtualmin.

I can still SSH to my Amazon instance, and I tried changing root’s password there but that does not seem to let me into VirtualMin

Any help?

I am a command line noob, That is why I want Virtualmin. Buty I did manage to get all EC2 tools installed and get the instance running using the command line, so I can follow instructions. But I have very little experience with the prompt.

Thanks

Todd

Howdy Todd,

I’m not sure why that would happen…the default in Webmin should be to use your normal UNIX password for Webmin. But I guess it’s been changed from the default to using a Webmin-only password file. You can reset that password from the command line using the changepass.pl script in /usr/libexec/webmin. Run it without options for instructions. You’d do something like:

/usr/libexec/webmin/changepass.pl /etc/webmin root newpass

Once done, and you’re able to login again…you’ll probably want to switch back to using the system password database. Find that in the Webmin:Webmin Configuration:Authentication page. You probably want “Use PAM for Unix authentication, if available” to be checked.

Thank You!