Login to Server via FTP

Hi Joe and people,
This is a repost. Need to get this answered a.s.a.p. please.

I did get some help on this before but cant find via search here… :sunglasses:

I’m trying to set up under VMIN to be able to login under FTP or even Http, but despite ensuring that login details are ok, cannot get in to non-root area.

Two users I can get in, but they only log into root area and I can’t even find public_html for them, then. :-{

I recall it had something to do with initial setups but…
I thought VMin did supply FTP to public_html automatically with a new Vserver install?

None of my Vmin Servers have a default public_html dir.

Any pointers to sources helpful.
Ta,
Himagain

Howdy John,

It sounds like you’re logging in as a regular mailbox user, which does not have privileges to edit web content.

Login as the virtual server owner user to manage web content for the domain. So, if you had a domain named “domain.tld” and the user that owned that virtual server was named “domain”, you login as “domain” with the password for that virtual server. That will put the user into /home/domain, and within that directory you’ll find “public_html” and “cgi-bin” which is where web content and CGI scripts go respectively. (PHP is a special case of script, and goes into public_html.)

You can see the username of each of the owners of your virtual servers by clicking on "List Virtual Servers" in the left-hand menu, at the bottom. The second field is "Username"–this is the user you use to administer web content for the respective virtual server. You can also create additional web content administrative users.

One other thing: is having the default of dom.com as a default login a bit of a security risk? Should I add another Admin and delete the default?

Nope. A security risk would be using a weak password. Use a strong password (8+ chars, letters and numbers and/or special chars, no dictionary words, and changes once every year or more), and you’ll be fine.

John,

A better way to reduce security risk is to change the port no. of Webmin and Usermin.

Webmin’s default port is 10000
Usermin’s default port is 20000

Change them to something else, e.g. 15125 and 25166

1. Change port at > Webmin > Webmin Configuration

2. Remember to change the port no. at > Webmin > Networking > Linux Firewall

Search the forum, and you will find a post with detailed instruction.

Life IS Good - and getting better!
Thanks! seems like a simple way to lower my paranoia.
I lived thru a system takeover once before :frowning:

Cheers!
Him…again

Hi again!
I can’t find a listing under WEBMIN MODULES for WEBMIN CONFIGURATION or NETWORKING on my Server??
I did go look and found same thing…

Read here: http://www.virtualmin.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=77&func=view&id=5849&catid=7#5849

Hi Joe,
Thanks again… as usual :-{
Sorry to be a bit slow on these things - but I do try…
My FTP prog was also set to http not ftp and didn’t help!

One other thing: is having the default of dom.com as a default login a bit of a security risk? Should I add another Admin and delete the default?
Cheers,
Himagain

Hi Joe,
Thanks again… as usual :-{
Sorry to be a bit slow on these things - but I do try…
My FTP prog was also set to http not ftp and didn’t help!

Cheers,
Himagain