Logging into webmin with domain name hangs if local

This isn’t critical, but I’d like to figure how what’s happening.

If I’m connected to the same network as my webmin box, entering https://domain.com:10000 brings up the login page and when I attempt to login, it appears to accept my credentials, but never loads.

If I do the same with the internal IP address, I can load webmin no problem.

I have two environments that are basically identical in two different locations in the city here. Both locations are running the same setup.

Ubuntu 18.04 on a Unifi managed network with pfSense as the router.

I’m thinking it has something to do with name resolution on the local network?? Not sure.

Ideas?

Is the server itself listed as a nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf ?

nameserver 127.0.0.1

Richard

EDIT: That should be in addition to whatever resolvers are being used, of course.

Hmm…both servers I’m looking at have:

nameserver 127.0.0.53 in resolv.conf

Oh, okay. That’s an Ubuntu thing, and I’m no Ubuntu expert. I find it wise not to give advice if I don’t know what I’m talking about.

I think it’s part of how their DHCP client works, but I wouldn’t swear to it.

Richard

Ubuntu does that when you have dnsmasq installed, I think. Or something along those lines. It’s probably fine, but I never can figure out how dnsmasq decides where to direct queries, and it may not be configured to resolve to localhost. dnsmasq is probably more appropriate on a laptop than a server…probably best to just get rid of it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.