Lock FTP-user in folder

Hi,

I’m using Virtualmin 3.65 to host several websites.
Everything’s well, apart from one thing: I can’t lock a user to a folder inside the server’s public_html-folder.
Virtualmin does make a home-folder for the new user, but this home is not located in /public_html/.

So what I’m looking for is a user with limited FTP-access. He shouldn’t be able to go below /public_html/userhome.

Am I missing something, or is this not possible?

Thanks in advance!

You just have to make sure the FTP users home directory is setup to be inside the public_html folder.

The easiest way to do that is to go into Edit Mail and FTP users, and create the user using "Add a website FTP access user".

That also assumes that in Limits and Validation -> FTP Directory Restrictions, that the restrictions are enabled to keep users in their home directories.
-Eric

Thanks for your quick response, though your solution locks the user in the public_html folder. I’m looking for a way to keep the user in public_html/user.

That also assumes that in Limits and Validation -> FTP Directory Restrictions, that the restrictions are enabled to keep users in their home directories.

Where can I find the Limits and Validation -> FTP Directory Restrictions -page? I’ve been going trough Virtualmin over and over again, but I can’t find it…

Webmin/Virtualmin is installed on an external server, maintained by a hosting company. Could I be limited in my actions, even though I have Administration-access?

Thanks again!

Edit doesn’t seem to work, so I’ll just reply:

I don’t have admin-access, Virtualmin says Reseller when I’m logged in. That could be why I can’t find the right settings, right?

Yeah, sorry, editing is broken – Joe’s hard at work to take care of that with through a new Drupal site :slight_smile:

The the solution I mentioned should lock the user within whatever their home directory is set to – FTP doesn’t have any concept of “public_html”.

And yeah, resellers have limited access, that would explain why you aren’t seeing that and other options.
-Eric

Thanks for your help, I’ve been in contact with the hosting company. I now have the option to set the homedir for extra users, just what I need.

On Virtualmin (v3.79) if you go under the Limits and Validation menu on the left and go to FTP Directory Restrictions there is a checkbox “Active?”, you’ll want to check that and save. I’m not sure why this isn’t set as the default. Hope that helps.