load average very high with peaks, server far too slow

So it’s not a setting somewhere that I’ve set wrong or so? (And that can be easily set as how it’s supposed to be set :wink:

I don’t know, that’s why I suggested checking the logfile. :slight_smile: Without further information about why those non-deliverable mails are sent, it’s hard to say.

well i’ve been lookig at the log file, but to be honest, i don’t know what i’m supposed to be looking for and it all looks as suspicious to me…

If somebody cares to have a look, I’ve put the last 1000 lines in an (attached) text file.

What I will do now is look at the mailq again and see if I can match it with something in the log.

I’ll be back!

Well:

mail.log:

Nov 22 07:15:19 server2 postfix/smtp[18428]: 01F35400B: to=mapplethorpet7@1888bestbuy.com, relay=mailstore1.secureserver.net[216.69.186.201]:25, delay=80394, delays=80392/0.08/2.1/0, dsn=4.0.0, status=deferred (host mailstore1.secureserver.net[216.69.186.201] refused to talk to me: 554-m1pismtp01-021.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net 554 Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to spam or virus content. If you believe that this failure is in error, please submit an unblock request at http://unblock.secureserver.net)

(I got this message in the log every hour or so)

mailq:

01F35400B 2010/11/21 08:55 MAILER-DAEMON mapplethorpet7@1888bestbuy.com 5.20 kB host mailstore1.secureserver.net[216.69.186.201] refused to talk to me: 554-m1pismtp01-008.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net 554 Your access to this mail system has been rejected due to spam or virus content. If you believe that this failure is in error, please submit an unblock request at http://unblock.secureserver.net

Okay, I’m not sure what caused that, but I think I fixed your two posts.

I already contacted Joe to see if we can prevent that from happening in the future :slight_smile:

-Eric

Thanks for that Eric, now let’s see if someone sees anything useful in the mail logs…

Hi Locutus,

I’ve attached a bit of mail log in this thread, would you mind having a look?

Thanks!

Well, that logs looks indeed quite “severe”. Seems your server is trying to send out mail to random addresses all over the world. Question is whether those are falsely generated non-deliverable reports, or if your server is being abused by a spammer. Hard to say anything in particular there.

As first step I’d clean up by deleting the whole outgoing queue, and then watch the logs closely as mail traffic continues. You might post a new log when such a problem occurs again, from the “very beginning”, as in from the mail delivery that initially triggers it.

Wow, This forum support is great. Specially some guys are helping a lot

Ok, thanks Locutus, I’ll try this.