Let's encrypt autorenewal not working?

“1) Is it possible to manually overwrite the subserver administration user somehow?
2) Is it possible to manually change the user that is being used to execute the webmin scheduled functions?”

You won’t need to do both. Doing 1 will take care of the second, I’m almost certain.

You can directly edit the metadata for Virtualmin in /etc/webmin/virtual-server/domains/$ID where ID is the identifier for the domain. You can find that with this command:

# virtualmin list-domains --domain apatest.virtualmin.com --id-only

The user and group fields specify the username and the group name. If you change these, you’ll want to make sure the UID/GID is correct throughout your domain home. After making any changes to Virtuamin configs, you’ll need to restart Webmin (service webmin restart). Note that databases and some other stuff may also need to be updated in some way (in terms of permissions and ownership), but Virtualmin should have already taken care of all of this…so I’m still not at all sure what went wrong where.

I’d recommend taking it one baby step at a time. Things are weird, and in a state I don’t understand…so, let’s try updating the user information in the Virtualmin config, and then see what the situation looks like from there.

Thanks a lot for your help! I have now changed for all the subservers the username and group to the same as the main servers username and group. After that, autorenew works. I don’t know how these subservers got a differrent username then the mainserver, must have something to do with cloning the server and then changing the username. However, I have the fix now. It seems like there are no consequences of changing this manually. Thanks!

It seems there is 2 configuration destination for SSL certificate renewal:

1. Virtualmin>Server Configuration>Manage SSL Certificate>Let’s Encrypt
    2.webmin>Webmin Configuration> SSL Encryption> Let’s Encrypt

In my system at the second destination, the “Months between automatic renewal” was set to “only renew manualy”.

Now in both destination It’s set to 2 month.

I have to wait for 2 month to see if it’s work. (need to mention, there was no “failed renewal attempt” in Webmin action log in my system, So I think the renewal should work this time.)

Just to confirm that facing that issue once update my vps to virtualmin ver 6. Bug ticket has been raised. LE auto update not working for sure. Manual update from web gui works fine, so look like something not trigered well on date check?