Latest updates break Virtualmin!

Because the install script is for a new box without VM/WB – if you run the install script again it will delete all your VM domains and settings but hey go for it – only way to learn is by screwing up…

I ran

rpm -qa| grep webmin

Runs webmin-1.420-1

rpm -qa| grep wbm-virtual-server

Gives no result, (short delays followed by the command prompt) sure that’s the right command?

Stop Webmin etc… and there was nothing left running Webmin wise.

Did realise Virtualmin has apparently not been updating.

From the System Info page-

Operating system CentOS Linux 5.2
Webmin version 1.420
Virtualmin version 3.53.gpl (GPL)

Looks like it either stopped updating at 3.53 or it was setup incorrectly in the first place (I didn’t set it up).

I’ve tried running

yum update virtualmin

but it doesn’t find anything to update-

Loading "fastestmirror" plugin
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile

I’m guessing the lack of updating Virtualmin is the issue here.

What am I doing wrong?

Just had a quick word with the person who set up the server and if I understand correctly he thinks you can’t automatically update Virtualmin and so didn’t setup yum for virtualmin.

How do you update virtualmin? The exact command would be great :slight_smile:

David Law

Download from http://download.webmin.com/download/virtualmin/wbm-virtual-server-3.59.gpl-1.noarch.rpm

Then rpm -iUhv wbm-virtual-server-3.59.gpl-1.noarch.rpm

Tried the above and got-

rpm -iUhv wbm-virtual-server-3.59.gpl-1.noarch.rpm
Preparing… ########################################### [100%]
This Webmin module is already installed on your system.
error: %pre(wbm-virtual-server-3.59.gpl-1.noarch) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
error: install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping wbm-virtual-server-3.59.gpl-1

Does this mean 3.59 is installed, but virtualmin is reporting the version as 3.53.gpl (what I see on the services info page)?

Using the Virtualmin upgrade page (which I can access through a link to "Virtualmin packages" despite the menu error) I can select wbm-virtual-server-3.59.gpl-1.noarch to install (listed as a new install as "wbm-virtual-server" not as an update).

The result-

Running Transaction
error: %pre(wbm-virtual-server-3.59.gpl-1.noarch) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
error: install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping wbm-virtual-server-3.59.gpl-1

Installed: wbm-virtual-server.noarch 0:3.59.gpl-1
Complete!

Vitualmin says it’s running version 3.53, but when I try to update to 3.59 says already installed.

Any idea what’s gone wrong here?

Fortunately the domains installed on the server work fine, but I can’t do anything new (new domains, working with databases etc…) until this menu issue is resolved.

David Law

rpm -qa |grep virtual-server

what does that give you

When I run that command I get-

wbt-virtual-server-mobile-1.6-1
wbt-virtual-server-theme-6.0-1
ust-virtual-server-theme-6.0-1

Appreciate the help.

David Law

Ok so you must have installed the GPL from a tarball then ? Do you remember if you did?

If you installed by the rpm then do "rpm -iUhv --force --nodeps wbm-virtual-server-3.59.gpl-1.noarch.rpm"

If you installed by tarball then download "http://download.webmin.com/download/virtualmin/virtual-server-3.59.gpl.wbm.gz" and install from that.

Opps forgot – if you did install by tarball you will need to install it through the webmin modules upgrade using that local file.

Hi, the upgrade of Centos 5.1 to Centos 5.2 ended with the same error:
“Error - Perl execution failed
Undefined subroutine &virtual_server::list_visible_domains called at /usr/libexec/webmin/virtual-server-theme/left.cgi line 80.” in the left menu.
According with “rpm -qa| grep webmin” I’m running webmin-1.420-1, while running “rpm -qa| grep wbm-virtual-server” doesn’t return me any output string (but Webmin itself tells me I’m running Virtualmin 3.53.gpl).
I tried the “/etc/init.d/webmin stop” (returns: Stopping Webmin server in /usr/libexec/webmin), and “ps auxw | grep miniserv | grep webmin” returns nothing, so I think there’re no left processes after quitting.

If I run "yum install wbm-virtual-server" this is the output:

[code:1]

• utterramblings: www.jasonlitka.com
  • virtualmin: software.virtualmin.com
  • virtualmin-universal: software.virtualmin.com
  • base: mi.mirror.garr.it
  • updates: mi.mirror.garr.it
  • centosplus: mi.mirror.garr.it
  • addons: mi.mirror.garr.it
  • extras: mi.mirror.garr.it
    Setting up Install Process
    Parsing package install arguments
    Resolving Dependencies
    –> Running transaction check
    —> Package wbm-virtual-server.noarch 0:3.59.gpl-1 set to be updated
    –> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

=============================================================================
Package Arch Version Repository Size

Installing:
wbm-virtual-server noarch 3.59.gpl-1 virtualmin-universal 989 k

Transaction Summary

Install 1 Package(s)
Update 0 Package(s)
Remove 0 Package(s)

Total download size: 989 k
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
(1/1): wbm-virtual-server 100% |=========================| 989 kB 00:07
Running rpm_check_debug
Running Transaction Test
Finished Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction

Complete![/code:1]

Any help is really appreciated! :slight_smile:

_YD

Well, I think what Scott’s mentioning is that it looks like whoever setup your Virtualmin install initially may have done so not using an RPM, but instead a tarball.

Knowing that, it won’t be possible to later upgrade using the RPM (or yum).

In addition to using the wbm file Scott mentioned, it may also be possible to upgrade Virtualmin from within the control panel (that depends on if it knows not to use an RPM for that, but I’d like to think it’d do the “Right Thing” :wink:

If you log into Virtualmin, on the front page you’ll see “Package updates”. If you click the “Virtualmin Packages” link after that, you may be able to go in there, search for wbm-virtual-server, and have Virtualmin update itself.
-Eric

I tried installing http://download.webmin.com/download/virtualmin/virtual-server-3.59.gpl.wbm.gz and got the following-

rpm -iUhv --force --nodeps /downloads/wbm-virtual-server-3.59.gpl-1.noarch.rpm

Preparing… ########################################### [100%]

I can access "Virtualmin Package Updates" and have tried several times to install -

wbm-virtual-server Webmin module for ‘Virtualmin Virtual Servers (GPL)’ in RPM format Available for installation Virtualmin

But it keeps giving the same error that it’s installed.

I don’t see any options to install a local file (have uploaded http://download.webmin.com/download/virtualmin/virtual-server-3.59.gpl.wbm.gz to /downloads/ on the server).

So still no joy :slight_smile:

Really appreciate the help, wouldn’t have a clue what to do here on my own!

David Law

As I didn’t install this server I’m not completely sure how it was installed.

I do recal Webmin was installed first and then Virtualmin.

The person doing the install had not used Webmin/Virtualmin before and I remember him saying after installing a lot of stuff manually he found a quick way to install things.

Looking on the server under /downloads/ I see these files-

install.sh date 11/09/07
webmin-1.400-1.noarch.rpm 08/02/08

There’s others including, but I doubt these are relevant:
epel-release-5-2.noarch.rpm 05/04/07
remi-release-5-4.el5.remi.noarch.rpm 02/02/08

I Got the server March 2008 with no control panel installed (Centos 5.1 installed). Think he’s installed Webmin1.400-1 then used the install.sh to install virtualmin from scratch over it.

Would that type of install cause the problems I’m seeing?

David Law

andreycheck wrote:

Well, I think what Scott's mentioning is that it looks like whoever setup your Virtualmin install initially may have done so not using an RPM, but instead a tarball.

Knowing that, it won’t be possible to later upgrade using the RPM (or yum).

Really, I'm not sure, but I'd bet on tarball installation of the package webmin+virtualmin. But since I've updated always and only by YUM, I can't figure out why this last update breaks and previous didn't...
In addition to using the wbm file Scott mentioned, it may also be possible to upgrade Virtualmin from within the control panel (that depends on if it knows not to use an RPM for that, but I'd like to think it'd do the "Right Thing" ;-)

If you log into Virtualmin, on the front page you’ll see “Package updates”. If you click the “Virtualmin Packages” link after that, you may be able to go in there, search for wbm-virtual-server, and have Virtualmin update itself.

If I run the update process from within Virtualmin, the output is quite identical:

[code:1]
Now updating wbm-virtual-server …

Installing package(s) with command yum -y install wbm-virtual-server ..

* utterramblings: www.jasonlitka.com
   * virtualmin: software.virtualmin.com
   * virtualmin-universal: software.virtualmin.com
   * base: mi.mirror.garr.it
   * updates: mi.mirror.garr.it
   * centosplus: mi.mirror.garr.it
   * addons: mi.mirror.garr.it
   * extras: mi.mirror.garr.it
  Setting up Install Process
  Parsing package install arguments
  Resolving Dependencies
  --> Running transaction check
  ---> Package wbm-virtual-server.noarch 0:3.59.gpl-1 set to be updated
  --> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size 
  Installing:
   wbm-virtual-server      noarch     3.59.gpl-1       virtualmin-universal  989 k

Transaction Summary
  Install      1 Package(s)         
  Update       0 Package(s)         
  Remove       0 Package(s)         

Total download size: 989 k
  Downloading Packages:
  Running rpm_check_debug
  Running Transaction Test
  Finished Transaction Test
  Transaction Test Succeeded
  Running Transaction
  error:   install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping wbm-virtual-server-3.59.gpl-1

Complete!

.. install complete.

Successfully installed 1 packages.
[/code:1]

_YD

Has anyone solved the two problems listed in this thread yet?

Trying to upgrade from Virualmin 3.59 when it wasn’t installed a particular way which appears to result in the error-

HTTP/1.0 500 Perl execution failed Server: MiniServ/0.01 Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 16:30:46 GMT Content-type: text/html Connection: close

In the left menu.

I can’t do anything new with my server until I solve this problem and I have some work that I want to do.

Anyone have any ideas of what to try next?

Have tried everything suggested in this thread with no joy :frowning:

David Law

Hi David, I’m in the same - sad - situation. Maybe we have to wait to the next release? :frowning:

_YD

I thought the same thing about the next release might fix things (by luck), but reading around the subject I don’t think Virtualmin updating to 3.60 (or whatever it goes to) will help since it looks like my server stopped updating at version 3.53 due to the way it was installed. I doubt it will update to 3.60 as it is now. If version 3.53 was released around March this year it’s never successfully updated on my server).

I don’t understand this sort of stuff very well, but do understand it’s something to do with dependencies for what ever OS your running and if you didn’t install Virtualmin in a particular way it won’t upgrade automatically or through yum!

I read this is a common problem, people install Webmin, find Virtualmin and install it after Webmin is installed causing problems with future updates. The left menu Perl error appears to be a conflict because Webmin has updated, but Virtualmin has now (Virtualmin is out of date).

I’m not impressed with the update system, I’ve been assuming Virtualmin has been updating everything important that it could update because every time I log into Virtualmin under System it says-

All Virtualmin packages are up to date.
There are 6 optional Virtualmin packages that you can install.

If I click the "Virtualmin packages" link I find:

wbm-virtual-server Webmin module for ‘Virtualmin Virtual Servers (GPL)’ in RPM format Available for installation Virtualmin

This is the main virtualmin package that updates to the current version (3.59).

Now I don’t know about you, but having an update available like this does not = “All Virtualmin packages are up to date.”

No, it’s quite the opposite, Virtualmin is significantly out of date and should be reported as such!!

Now had that page reported there were updates available I might have realised the problem I’m having now months ago, (before it caused a problem), but why on Earth would I look for available updates when Virtualmin is telling me it’s up to date.

And if there are known problems with installing Virtualmin after installing Webmin you should inform the user that they won’t be able to update Virtualmin automatically etc… and supply a way to actually do an update (all the suggested fixes so far have failed).

Seriously considering backing up my data and installing another control panel as it shouldn’t be this difficult to update a control panel.

David Law

Hey guys,

I feel your pain, and there are some issues brought to light by this thread that I wasn’t aware of (and one that I was aware of, but still haven’t figured out how to resolve it).

So, the first issue is that the RPM is refusing to install over a wbm-installed version of Virtualmin. This protection is probably never needed (and I turned it off a couple of years ago in the Professional package–but Jamie packages the GPL version). I will file a ticket and ask him to confirm that disallowing over-writes is the intended behavior…if it isn’t, hopefully 3.60 will remove the restriction. OK, ticket 4276 covers this issue.

In the meantime, assuming a few things are true, you could do the following.

Here’s what I’m assuming:

You have a yum-equipped system. It has Webmin installed via RPM. And yum knows about our GPL Virtualmin repository. If any of these things aren’t true, you’ll want to come back with more data and I’ll step you through in more details.

Backup your /etc/webmin directory (don’t skip this step! you may not need it, but if you don’t do it, and you do need it, I will laugh mercilessly at your recklessness):

tar czvf /root/webmin-etc-backup.tar.gz /etc/webmin

Install the latest RPM with the noscripts option:

rpm -Uvh --noscripts http://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/universal/wbm-virtual-server-3.59.gpl-1.noarch.rpm

Now, this will install without running any of the post-install scripts, not just the overwrite prevention script that we don’t want to run, which leaves out some stuff–important stuff in the case of 3.59, as that’s when we added all of the Virtualmin Professional spam/AV features to GPL.

So, we need to run those manually:

cd /usr/libexec/webmin
export WEBMIN_CONFIG=/etc/webmin
export WEBMIN_VAR=/var/webmin
/usr/libexec/webmin/run-postinstalls.pl virtual-server

When that’s done, things will probably begin to look more sane–all of the other packages in our repository were built by me with the allow-overwrite option enabled, so they won’t fight you like this on upgrading.

BTW-The issue that I’ve been aware for some time but haven’t figured out how to resolve is that we’re still getting tons and tons of folks installing manually (using all sorts of mixtures of RPM or deb and wbm/tarball packages, and a bunch of packages from third party repositories that conflict with our packages, among other things), despite the fact that the automated install script has been available for the most popular distros for about two years.

The issue seems to be a failure to communicate the Right Way to make things work nicely. Virtualmin is a complicated system, and to get it setup correctly requires dozens of steps…only the most dedicated, experienced, and slightly masochistic administrator ought to be setting things up manually. I certainly never set it up manually, unless I have to, and I’ve installed and configured Virtualmin more than anybody.

I’m working with Jamie to add more comprehensive documentation to the Webmin site, since it seems a lot of folks never make it over to Virtualmin.com if they’re using the GPL version (until they have problems and want to yell at somebody about it).

Hey Joe,

Not tried the above yet (definitely don’t want to be the first to try it!) and might not if the 3.60 version is due relatively soon as found a partial work around. Looking at your past updates looks like you update roughly every 3 weeks, as you updated last on the 1st of July I shouldn’t have to wait too long for 3.60 (would appreciate a confirmation it’s going to be fixed for certain).

Anyway, the partial work around for the left menu error (does not help with updating) if you have the same error I get regarding Perl-

Undefined subroutine &virtual_server::list_visible_domains called at /usr/libexec/webmin/virtual-server-theme/left.cgi line 80."

in the left menu.

You can remove some of the error, but it doesn’t give full access to all options normally available.

I downloaded the left.cgi file (from /usr/libexec/webmin/virtual-server-theme/) and commented out line 80.

line 80 is-

@doms = &virtual_server::list_visible_domains();

Renamed the original left.cgi on the server (effectively backing it up) then uploaded the commented out left.cgi file.

Refreshed the page and some of the menu now works, specifically the Webmin link at the top that give access to all the most important server config files.

This doesn’t give access to the Virtualmin options, but it’s better than nothing and if the problem will be fixed in 3.60 so I can with running yum or use the built in Virtualmin update feature update to 3.60 I can hang on a week or two.

You can remove the remaining error by commenting out line 351 as well, but not much point as all you get extra is a link to refresh the server info and log out. So I wouldn’t bother.

I think I can do the tasks I had planned through the Webmin interface.

David Law