Keyboard not mapped properly for virtual server accounts, fine on master acct - Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS under VMware Fusion on Mac OS

On Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS 64-bit in a virtual machine on VMware Fusion on a Mac, the tab key does not work for virtual server accounts created by virtualmin. It works in the normal (main, admin) account for virtual machine.

OK, I’ve been beating my head against the wall on this one. I had been using CentOS 6.2 in a virtual machine under Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) running VMware Fusion 5. Created several virtual servers using virtualmin, no problems. i can access them through the GUI or ssh into the main account and each virtual server account, everything works as expected.

I manage real servers via ssh and screen, from my Mac to a RHEL 5 box, and have for more than 10 years.

I went to do the same thing with a Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS 64-bit guest OS. When I create virtual servers using Virtualmin, some keys don’t work in terminal the way they should, like tab, to autocomplete files, folders, commands, etc. Instead it inserts a space.

I even reinstalled Ubuntu 12.04.01 LTS without a GUI, and tried the console, as well as sshing in, and the tab does not work on the virtual server account. It does work properly on the main (admin) user account.

tab autocomplete is burned into my brain and muscle memory, I can’t stand to use it like this. And yes, bash loads the autocomplete scripts in all environments.

Any ideas?

Change the shell from to /bin/bash (it is probably /bin/sh). Open /etc/passwd, find the line whith your user name and change /bin/sh to /bin/bash.

I am looking for a way to do it in Virtualmin for an existing user.