Issue with Bind DNS

Virtualmin keeps reporting that Bind is having issues, it gives the following error:
Failed to save enabled features : Virtualmin is configured to setup DNS zones, but this system is not setup to use itself as a DNS server. Either add 127.0.0.1 to the list of DNS servers, or turn off the BIND feature on the module config page.

every time I try to set 127.0.0.1 in the DNS servers, the whole server locks up and I have to manually reset it, this started after a virtualmin update, it had the yellow check virtualmin config ribbon up at the top, so I clicked on it and got that error. only way I can get it to work right is if I disable the bind feature in virtualmin which I think may be causing some of my mail issues (see other post about not reciving mail to user mail boxes)

any ideas as to how I can resolve this, many thanks

root@gordon:~# invoke-rc.d bind9 stop
Stopping domain name service…: bind9rndc: connect failed: 127.0.0.1#953: conne
ction refused

Hrm, the whole server shouldn’t lock up just because you added an IP address to the resolv.conf file.

Something sounds awry :slight_smile:

How much RAM does your system have (ie, what is the output of the command “free”)?

Based on your other post, it sounds as if you aren’t using the DNS feature of Virtualmin – so you may actually want to disable it. At that point, it will no longer require 127.0.0.1 be in the resolv.conf file.

To do that, you can go into System Settings -> Features and Plugins, and disable “BIND DNS Domain”.

After doing that, re-run the Re-Check Config and see if everything looks good now.

-Eric

the server has 2 gigs of ram, after disabling it the re-check config worked just fine. We eventually will be using the DNS features

here is teh output of the command free

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached

Mem: 1945332 933908 1011424 0 262760 257636
-/+ buffers/cache: 413512 1531820
Swap: 2650684 0 2650684