Is Rocky Linux still the recommended distro for Virtualmin? (RHEL changes)

If you mean by using Debian for free instead of RHEL for free, im not sure RHEL will miss you.

Let me guess you use the GPL version of Virtualmin too right ??

1 Like

Am curious, why AMD-only? I’ve only used a server with an AMD processor once and it was just so unreliable - I’m going back over a decade now but I think it put me off for life! Curious to hear more though! Maybe we need a separate thread for that.

1 Like

What about Fedora?

1 Like

Fedora is bleeding edge development.

Centos is now leading edge development.

Neither are considered stable production servers.

1 Like

Back in 2021 Red Hat came out with a program that allowed individuals to get free unsupported access to RHEL and even gave instructions to convert CentOS 8 to RHEL 8.
Linkis here:
https://developers.redhat.com/articles/faqs-no-cost-red-hat-enterprise-linux#

This developers membership comes with a lot of downloadable EBOOKS to learn RHEL as well.

Read the article and go through the entire developers website for RHEL.

Most of you can benefit from this.

If your VPS/Server provider does not provide the RHEL ISO than ask them if you can bring your own.

From what I understand this is good up to 16 machines, although I have only used on 4 machines so far.

Subscription ends after one year but allows you to re-subscribe with one click. I have been using this going on 1.5 years with no issues.

So try it, see if it’s right for you… Thought I throw this out to those who haven’t heard about this program.

2 Likes

We had a problem after paying the subscription price for years
The first thing out of their mouth was that is not covered we need your credit card… Turned out to be a bug.

We then moved to Centos ( by the way we always donated to the project) but then when 8 came out we bought in to 10 year support. Strange that after IBM completed the purchase 8 support was scrapped.

We have since made the move to Debian and have only ordered Dell servers with AMD CPU.

Haven’t had any problem…

2 Likes

I’ve discussed Fedora many times in the past. It is my preferred desktop/laptop OS. I wouldn’t touch it with a ten foot pole for server use.

2 Likes

I hear yah :slight_smile:

1 Like

Of interest:

Richard

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.