Is a manual backup of Virtualmin possible?

I’m curious if it is possible to backup virtualmin manually or at least extract its configuration from the hard drive it is on. The Linux install on a test server that runs Virtualmin suddenly crashed with segmentation faults and won’t start properly. I’m going to reinstall but want to back everything up first.

Thx

Howdy,

The Webmin and Virtualmin config files are located within /etc/webmin.

Also, whenever you generate a Virtualmin backup, you should see a virtuamin.tar.gz file – that contains a backup of your Virtualmin config files, including the backup schedule, server templates, account plans, and all your config tweaks.

-Eric

Thanks, I don’t believe this config performed and backups. It isn’t critical stuff but would have saved me some time had I done it. Since I didn’t I’m going to have to rebuild by hand… sigh

While having the Virutalmin generated backups does simplify things – you can always just copy the config files located in /etc/webmin.

For example, your server templates are in /etc/webmin/virtual-server/templates, the account plans are /etc/webmin/virtual-server/plans, and the various tweaks you make throughout Virtualmin are in /etc/webmin/virtual-server/config.

-Eric

I’d like to note that when creating a Virtualmin backup, it will only include the VM config when you instruct it to do so. That’s a separate box of settings under the virtual server features to backup.

And while - if I recall correctly - all virtual server features are checked by default, the option to backup Virtualmin config along is unchecked by default.