IPv6 "automation"

Hi everyone,

I don’t know if this is the right place but I haven’t find a request forum.

On my webserver, I have been given a /64 prefix so I have a -large- bunch of IPs to use.

With the last virtualmin we can know use IPv6 addresses which is great, but what would be cool is to have virtualmin offering the next available IP in the prefix as we now can give an ip per website (think ssl certs :p).
But having to do it by hand is not cool :(.

Another stuff is the way virtualmin add the ipv6 in the interfaces file :
(etc/network/interfaces in debian)

virtualmin way :
up /sbin/ifconfig eth0:0 inet6 add 2001:xxx:1:xxxx::2/64

another way I found googling the net :
post-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 inet6 add 2001:xxxx:1:xxxx::2/64
pre-down /sbin/ifconfig eth0 inet6 del 2001:xxxx:1:xxxx::2/64

which one is better ?

thanks !

IPv6 support just made it into Virtualmin in 3.68. So, I don’t think we have much useful feedback from users on how it’s working and such yet. I’ll ask Jamie to chime in on this thread.

Ordinarily, we recommend you just let Virtualmin handle adding your interfaces for you. It can be given a range of addresses to assign from, but beyond that, I dunno. I’ve never actually used IPv6. :wink:

Actually, you made me discover the template option where I can put my ipv6 range, that is what I was looking for =)

thanks !

Yes, the IP allocation ranges in the templates are what you want.

I’m not sure of the difference between post-up and up in the interfaces file though. I just used up in Virtualmin as that’s what the Debian docs suggested :slight_smile:

I’ve put a range in the template, but I have only gotten it it issue 1 IP. I can’t get it to create another IPv6 address on the NIC. It goes to add it, but does not put an IP in the command.

I rent a KVM server and run Centos 6/Virtualmin Pro 50 license.

The KVM server has 1 ipv4 address allocated and one ipv6 address allocated. However, in the attached image, It shows a /112 at the end of the ipv6 address.

Does this mean there is a possible 112 addresses available for me to choose from?

IPv6 Address: 2a02:748:a800:149:154:158:195:0/112

I’m surely wrong here but it that were the case, I could stop using ports for SSL because I could assign a ipv6 address to each virtual server meaning they could all operate SSL over port 443.

As of now, the main server operates over SSL 443 and all the others have a unique port to operate over.

eg.
https://www.theraggedfence.com:10077/catalog2/login.php?my_account_f=

This works fine unless a state or corporate employee tries to login from their office. Non standard SSL ports are usually disallowed. Those pesky admins :slight_smile:

I got a complaint the other day about not being able to login to one of the sites due to the non standard SSL port.

Anyway, I’m an ipv6 noob who is probably way off in my thinking.

So does that /112 indicate a range from 0 to 112 ?

Howdy,

IPv6 has so many addresses, that Virtualmin doesn’t even support NameBased shared hosting – it assumes that you can get as many IPv6 addresses as you need, so that you’d have one per domain.

If I’m reading this correctly, it looks like a /112 address allocation includes 65,536 IP Addresses.

-Eric