IPv6 : how to ?

Hi !

I’ve a /64 IPv6 for my webserver, so I want to use it for webhosting (one IPv6 per server).

The server is already installed with webmin/virtualmin for month under Debian 5.0 64b.

I’ve not succeded to add my /64 with virtualmin, so I add it in debian :
/etc/network/interfaces
iface eth0 inet6 static
address 2001:41D0:1:218a::1
netmask 64

=> ifconfig is right
=> Webmin see it on eth0 : good !

Next, I must tell virtualmin it can use a range to auto-assign an IPv6 to every websites.
Virtualmin > System Setting > Templates > Virtual IP Address
But I don’t understand how it work (and the help popup for IPv6 range doesn’t exist : /usr/share/webmin/virtual-server/help/template_ranges6_mode.html)

starting adress / ending adress / netmask ?
I’ve try a lot, but nothing work. No error, but values do not stay after save.

Can you explain me with some examples with 2001:41D0:1:218a::/64 ?

Thanks,
Julien

Hi Julien,

Yeah, one of the problems with some IPv6 related things is that it’s probably not quite as solid as the IPv4 that gets pretty thoroughly used every day :slight_smile:

It sounds like you may be stumbling across some bugs.

For example, if a help file doesn’t exist, that’s definitely a bug :slight_smile:

But also, if things you’re adding to a form don’t save, that sounds like a bug as well.

My recommendation would be to file a support request, using the Support link above, and Jamie will work with you to iron those issues out.

Thanks!

-Eric

Some news :
So I’ve a range in my template !

The problems of empty field after save was about the IPv6 format (but without warning error…), like uppercase forbidden in hexa notation.

Now, my range is ok :
2001:41D0:1:218a::2 >> 2001:41D0:1:218a::ff

BUT, in virtualserver create/edit I can now try to assign an IPv6, but it fail with error: “Missing or invalid IPv6 address”.