Intermittant HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized when uploading backups to RackSpace Files (UK)

I have a nightly backup process scheduled in Virtualmin on two servers. One server works perfectly every night, although it only has a few accounts. The other server usually works but often some of the accounts fail at the uploading stage with the following:

Creating TAR file of home directory ..
.. done

Uploading archive to Rackspace's Cloud Files service ..
.. upload failed! Invalid HTTP response : HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized

There are around 25 accounts on the server, and some nights all will upload, and some nights a few fail. Last night the first 12 worked and the last 13 failed. Accounts are between 1m and 1gb in size.

What’s the best way to debug this? And if the backup fails to upload, is it stored locally anywhere?

Hi,

Just adding a “me too”.

I have a large single domain of about 60GB in Virtualmin. On its maiden backup it managed to upload 8.8GB into Rackspace Cloud Files before throwing this error:

Creating incremental TAR file of home directory .. .. done
Uploading archive to Rackspace's Cloud Files service ..
.. upload failed! Upload failed at 9437184000 : Invalid HTTP response : HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized

… completed in 1 days, 1 hours, 44:19 minutes

It managed to upload 45 200MB chunks before this.

Virtualmin is installed on CentOS 6.4 64-bit.

Would be happy to provide any more information.

Thanks,
Steve

ps. incidentally, I’m curious how Virtualmin is going to handle an incremental backup of this size over a slow (1MBit up) link…

Uploading archive to Rackspace’s Cloud Files service …
… upload failed! Empty HTTP response

… completed in 1 minutes, 18 seconds
Backup failed! See the progress output above for the reason why.

for some domains …