Installing phpMyAdmin script question

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version: Debian Linux 10
Webmin version: 1.981
Virtualmin version: 6.17
Related products version: phpMyAdmin 5.1.1

I installed phpMyAdmin 5.1.1 using the install script with the default option (so it is installed in subfolder inside public_html). This eased everything leaving me with just the folder “phpmyadmin” and this without warning.

I have backup but still, this should not happen. :scream:

• To be sure, I retested a second time and it worked as expected (didn’t erased anything)
  • To check, I tested with the option “Top level” and they were a warning about erasing everything.

Hi,

Thanks for your report.

However, I could not reproduce this problem. It installs correctly based on the options given. It doesn’t erase the initial content.

Could you shed more light on how to reproduce an issue?

Moreover, if the folder phpmyadmin pre-existed before the installation into a sub-directory (default), it would give you a warning. Although, it will only overwrite existing files inside of this dir but it won’t delete them.

Hello Ilia,

The thing is that I couldn’t reproduce myself.
It just happened once (and scared the s…t of me :joy:).

For the same domain I retried both ways and didn’t have the same scary situation.
Something to do with session (I recall I kept the windows open for a long time) ?

The only thing I’m sure they weren’t a warning about erasing anything after I clicked.
Sorry I’m not able to provide more information.

The confusing thing about this is that there isn’t any code to “delete everything in the directory”, as far as I can tell. I don’t know what mechanism could account for everything being deleted from the directory where the script is being installed…as Ilia mentioned, even in cases where you’re installing in a sub-dir and the sub-dir already exists, it will just overwrite what’s already there (but not touch files that don’t exist in the archive being extracted), I think, rather than delete everything before extracting.

1 Like

One stupid mistake I made once:

I inadvertently installed a forum script at top level where a Wordpress install already existed. It overwrote the index.php file.

I realized the mistake instantly when I went to the domain and the forum was there and the Wordpress site was gone.

But it didn’t wipe out all the files. I simply replaced the Wordpress index.php from backup and the site was restored.

I then moved the forum files to the forum subdirectory and uploaded the forum index.php there and it was fine as well.

I’m wondering if maybe that’s what happened in his case or something along those lines.

I really understand that not able to reproduce is a problem and raises questions but I reported what was.

I had a running website with hundreds of files in the public_html directory and ended with one single folder “phpmyadmin”, no warning. I don’t know what else to add.
No damage as I have backups.

I can share privately detailed information but I suggest to put this aside as long as no one else report such issue.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.