Installing Cacti and Nagios on the same box as Virtualmin possible?

Hi All,

Does anyone know how to make virtualmin play nice with nagios and cacti on the same box? the default install works fine but I would ideally like them in their own virtualhosts

i.e.

nagios.domain.com

and

cacti.domain.com

however if I manually edit the default apache config files for nagios and cacti to make them virtualhosts it works but breaks the default site. if i try to change it virtualmin says it cant handle the swap

failed : Cannot handle swap between /etc/apache2/sites-available/

Any ideas? it does seam i can create two new virtualhosts and copy the content of the default files to it. then delete the symlinks in /etc/apache2/conf.d but not sure if that will mess up apt package managment

Howdy,

Nagios and Cacti can indeed work along with Virtualmin.

However, you wouldn’t want to use distro packages (like a RPM or DEB) to install either of those – those distro packages aren’t designed to be run on a shared hosting system.

My recommendation would be to setup a Virtual Server in Virtualmin, and then to download the Nagios/Cacti source, and manually install those within the Virtual Server.

-Eric

Hey, thanks for that. I did wonder if that is the case, mind if I ask what configure options should be used as I am getting confused by them and where to set the apacheconf file to when i compile nagios