Install virtualmin on ubuntu 20.04

Edit: I forgot to mention your nick: lisandi

if this forums had dislike button I would click it right a way - I have no idea if you an pro user or not (if you are I am sorry but I still feel like this) I would click it just for abusing virtualmin team with your palava about ubuntu os release regardless and disrespect of their work and other users like me who actually use source code for your requested os. Can you be a bit more human and provide those grateful virtualmin folks a bit time to actually write the bloody code? Is your life depending on this? Are you donated millions to get them to focus and prioritise ? Get a life a bit for everyone PLEASE

Your push ups here are more damaging. wait please till they wont let you know… without them you would not had anything there no matter if that was 6.04 or 20.04 - those guys at virtualmin works hard as ugly spaid f@cks… stop pushing so hard without any of your contributions

like ask ubuntu or stack overflow - unbelievable uglynes - one should place dislike button here.

The blame is on virtualmin devs that still waste time on shitbuntu. It’s precious hours that could be used doing better work, instead of constantly having to support an inferior distribution that’s constantly launching major releases… I mean, ffs.

Debian is a server suited operating system.
Ubuntu is not.

But the blame is twofold. I get that devs try to please the customer (and community) with compatibility for more distros, but that only enables (the second part to blame) poor managers, poor decision makers, to make those poor decisions and having them run shitbuntu cause that way they can pretend to be hype.
But then they’re all crying everywhere asking others to solve the problems of their distros, like some here, that go to the nerve of demanding things. I hope that guy is at least a paying customer.

1 Like

Well it is running fine on Ubuntu 20.04 with newest Webmin version 1.952 and Usermin version 1.801 Virtualmin version 6.09 Authentic theme version 19.51 Time on system [Sunday, July 5, 2020 5:11 PM] Kernel and CPU Linux 5.4.0-40-generic on x86_64 Operating system Ubuntu Linux 20.04 Processor information Intel® Core™ i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 8 cores Real memory 2.19 GiB used / 28.16 GiB cached / 62.6 GiB total.

Nobody is pushing here I asked only for a clear answer and not again and again unclear etas. If it is ready and tested and it is said to be released on the weekend so it is not in a few days - simple logic for anybody who writes programs. I know it is hard work and it could be much less work for any of them by sharing and collaborating with the community.

In an open Source Community you usually work together but you can’t really work together when the open source code is not accessible for collaboration. So the only way to get things done is feedbacks and feedbacks and our feedback went already as a fix by Ilja into vm for 20.04 long time ago (t’was the MariaDB fix)- simply check.

But there is another problem when installing actually and that is what the devs need to be aware of . It might be that it is only valid if you install it on a fresh minimal 20.04 Ubuntu install at Hetzner but probably it is a problem which also exists in all minimal 20.04 distribution elsewhere.

When you install virtualmin with the 20.04 script on a blank new Ubuntu 20.04 it will install Mysql and has some hickups, even you installed i.e. dummy packages. When you install first MariaDB and then install virtualmin it will overwrite MariaDB with mysql but less hickups and you need to reinstall Mariadb client and server after the install again. But that works now just perfect with MariaDB 10.5.4 (stable) - Ubuntu comes with 10.3. …

The webalizer script is usually in webalizer/webalizer.conf but the script is asking for webalizer.conf. so you need to move the webalizer.conf file one folder higher and the installation will finish.

Unfortunately the script pulls an old webmin 1.942 from the repo here the netplan issues have not been solved and when you reboot you will be probably be out of luck to reconnect!
Solution is before rebooting to update to webmin 1.952 - install the repo of webmin and update.
You also need to update the authentic theme to 1.951 but that is not enough as still the connectivity problem will exist because virualmin is writing on top of run/systemd/resolve/stub-resolv.conf file lots of stuff which does not belong there. When you restore the previous file before the installation it works fine.

# Added by Virtualmin.
nameserver 127.0.0.1
# Added by Virtualmin.
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 213.133.100.100
nameserver 213.133.98.98
nameserver 213.133.99.99
nameserver 2a01:4f8:0:1::add:1010
nameserver 2a01:4f8:0:1::add:9999
nameserver 2a01:4f8:0:1::add:9898
# This file is managed by man:systemd-resolved(8). Do not edit.
#
# This is a dynamic resolv.conf file for connecting local clients to the
# internal DNS stub resolver of systemd-resolved. This file lists all
# configured search domains.
#
# Run "resolvectl status" to see details about the uplink DNS servers
# currently in use.
#
# Third party programs must not access this file directly, but only through the
# symlink at /etc/resolv.conf. To manage man:resolv.conf(5) in a different way,
# replace this symlink by a static file or a different symlink.
#
# See man:systemd-resolved.service(8) for details about the supported modes of
# operation for /etc/resolv.conf.

options edns0

before the installation it looked like:

# This file is managed by man:systemd-resolved(8). Do not edit.
#
# This is a dynamic resolv.conf file for connecting local clients to the
# internal DNS stub resolver of systemd-resolved. This file lists all
# configured search domains.
#
# Run "resolvectl status" to see details about the uplink DNS servers
# currently in use.
#
# Third party programs must not access this file directly, but only through the
# symlink at /etc/resolv.conf. To manage man:resolv.conf(5) in a different way,
# replace this symlink by a static file or a different symlink.
#
# See man:systemd-resolved.service(8) for details about the supported modes of
# operation for /etc/resolv.conf.

nameserver 127.0.0.53
options edns0

it also modifies etc/netplan/01-netcfg.yaml
before the installation it looks like that

### Hetzner Online GmbH installimage
network:
  version: 2
  renderer: networkd
  ethernets:
    enp0s31f6:
      addresses:
        - 12.123.1.12/32
        - 1234:123:12:123::2/64
      routes:
        - on-link: true
          to: 0.0.0.0/0
          via: 12.123.1.45
      gateway6: fe80::1
      nameservers:
        addresses:
          - 2a01:4f8:0:1::add:1010
          - 2a01:4f8:0:1::add:9999
          - 2a01:4f8:0:1::add:9898

and after the installation it looks like

### Hetzner Online GmbH installimage
network:
  version: 2
  renderer: networkd
  ethernets:
        enp0s31f6:
            addresses: ['12.123.1.12/32', '1234:123:12:123::2/64']
            gateway6: fe80::1
            nameservers:
                addresses: [127.0.0.1, 213.133.100.100, 213.133.98.98, 213.133.99.99, '2a01:4f8:0:1::add:1010', '2a01:4f8:0:1::add:9999', '2a01:4f8:0:1::add:9898']
            routes: 
                to: 0.0.0.0/0
                via: 12.123.1.45

it adds 127.0.0.1 - which is only necessary when using bind -and it leaves out routes: - on-link: true

Restoring both files will bring back also full internet connectivity and you will be able to access your site again after an installation of VM.

All statistics are now working fine in webmin so you can see again the running proceses and more.

Problem exist still with letsencrypt which not always produces an SSL certificate. This wasn’t like that in previous virtualmin version where it was working just fine.

Hi Lisandi

install certbot package. This will help you. This package is not in ubuntu and virtualmin

1 Like

we did that before and it worked just fine only the upgrade to mariaDB 5.4 brought problems which got solved by Ilja just the day after we gave feedback. The more people will give feedback the better also for developers to see where fixes are still needed. Unfortunately many are only waiting (probably because they are on Debian, which has a slow release cycle) and not testing and giving feedback those at Ubuntu which are used to test before getting into live and production.

1 Like

We are blaming to dev because of eta. I am waiting from jan 2020 before ubuntu 20.04 releases but still weekend not coming.i was install and tested beta virtualmin or manually install. It was working great. The main reason of waiting is security issue of server that knows virtualmin dev.Please tell valid eta so that each and every one think to go with that eta or find another way.

1 Like

Thanks anuj9122. Beside having the 10 year direct from cloudflare. Those are our fallbacks always. But as Let’s encrypt is part of virtualmin (some of our customer servers with virtualmin are not connected to cloudflare) it is important that this gets fixed again too for the future as it was working fine even in 20.04 just normal - we are on Virtualmin and Ubuntu 20.04 since a months already as most servers with virtualmin actually moved from 18.04 to 20.04 and only the MariaDB issue (important to be able to clone, backup etc) had to be adjusted beside some other minor ones to get the main functionality up and running.

Hi Joe and Llia. Please tell us valid ETA of final release. Beta script also stop at weblizer.

Error: Webalizer config file /etc/webalizer.conf does not exist! █▒▒▒▒▒▒Error

Webalizer config file /etc/webalizer.conf does not exist!

Gpl is open source and you can download it from git hub its right there, I don’t understand what you are saying…

virtualmin released on ubuntu 20.04?

Please read through the post as those problems and its solutions are described here. If you need more help let me know! Configuring/troubleshooting Debian servers, especially Ubuntu Servers is always great fun! and we are already alive and it is working. Try to avoid things which aren’t born until now and stig with reality :slight_smile: No need to fork by the way virtualmin as Virtualmin is working fine since months on all of our Ubuntu 20.04 servers, it only would have made things for our customers who are waiting desperately since months for a release easier to have a clearly communicated release date. If they would have known it much earlier they would have used our service to setup their service also already moths ago. That was the point of my post.

The problem with SSL and Let’s encrypt hasn’t been fixed in 1.953 so better use the other way if you rely on let’s encrypt or use the cloudflare or another certificate.

Unfortunately no but you can check by downloading the install script - it still says
# License and version
SERIAL=GPL
KEY=GPL
VER=6.1.1
vm_version=6

# Currently supported systems:
supported="    CentOS/RHEL Linux 6, 7, and 8 on x86_64
    Debian 8, 9, and 10 on i386 and amd64
    Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and 18.04 LTS on i386 and amd64"

I see that there are still some minor problems which can be solved easily but not when you have no idea about running a server. So if that is the case wait - if you know what you are doing simply use the install-script from ilja and do what I mentioned in my revious post.

1. download the dummy packages and install them
  2. after the install stops because of webalizer move that file on level up and run install again
  3. do the configuration inside VM
    If you run mariaDB install it Before and AGAIN like described - it is simply working
    Most important check the resolve file as here something seems to go totally wrong which disables the netplan, so better take a backup of the netplan and the stub_resolve file like mentioned above and restore it after the install BEFORE you might get locked out with no access!!!

Hello,

how do you install Virtualmin in Ubuntu 20? I am waiting weeks to start a server with that config…

Any news? virtualmin for ubuntu 20.04 LTS ready?

Virtualmin is Ready?

Hello, any real ETA for the release? I have now 2 servers waiting for the software…thanks!

Please stop spamming for ETA, it’s unbecoming and rude.

1 Like

I’m closing this topic, as beta support is out.

3 Likes