Install Clamd

Hi, i’m on ubuntu 8.04, and into my Virtualmin GPL install, under Email Messages-> Spam and Virus Scanning i dont see Enable ClamAV Server…
What have i to do?
Thanks

neorf

What options do you see in that screen?

-Eric

i see:
Global spam and virus scanner options
SpamAssassin client program spamassassin (Standalone program)
spamc (Client for SpamAssassin filter server spamd)
Server host for spamc
Maximum message size to process for spamc
Allow mailbox users to create mail filters?

But now then i’ve installed clamav-daemon with apt-get install clamav-daemon.
And so now clamav-daemon is running. just it seems virtualmin dont know about clamav.

Hrm, how did you install Virtualmin? Had you used the install.sh script?

If you go into System Settings -> Features and Plugins, is the Virus Scanning feature enabled?

-Eric

ok thanks, it was disabled. So now i’ve enabled it and then i’ve activated “clamdscan” to reduce cpu load, right?
My system is not so big…
However, if i disable the Virus Filtering Features, for some of my virtual servers, it will reduce cpu & mem load, or it’s the same?
Thanks

neorf

Yeah, using the clamdscan / ClamAv Daemon will reduce your CPU load.

It does use a decent amount of RAM, but much less CPU.

If you disable the virus scanning feature for a few Virtual Servers, it would only make a small difference. The large cost is running the daemon at all.

I mean, if you’re disabling it for the domains that receive the most email, perhaps that’d make a difference, but you’d probably need to test it both ways and find out how large a difference it makes :slight_smile:

-Eric

That’s not a Clam issue, that’s a SpamAssassin issue.

Check out this post:

https://www.virtualmin.com/node/12846

ok thanks…
so, i’ve activated clamd, and i’ve send an email from a my @gmail.com account to a my email on server, and now my email from gmail is “spam”, see this:
Content analysis details: (7.3 points, 6.0 required)

pts rule name description

2.4 DNS_FROM_OPENWHOIS RBL: Envelope sender listed in bl.open-whois.org.
3.4 FH_DATE_PAST_20XX The date is grossly in the future.
-0.0 SPF_PASS SPF: sender matches SPF record
1.4 AWL AWL: From: address is in the auto white-list

Then into email header i see:
<<<
Received: from mail-fx0-f228.google.com (mail-fx0-f228.google.com [209.85.220.228])
by server.cpm (Postfix) with ESMTP id 6AD814E449
for domain@test.comt; Wed, 17 Mar 2010 05:21:36 +0100 (CET)
Received: by fxm28 with SMTP id 28so685373fxm.39
for domain@test.com; Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:21:36 -0700 (PDT)

There is that line: " for domain@trix.it; Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:21:36 -0700 (PDT)", that is -8 hours…
Why? the strange thins is “future date”… there was not before activat ClamAV.
Thanks

neorf

ok thanks, but what about this email header?

Received: from mail-fx0-f228.google.com (mail-fx0-f228.google.com [209.85.220.228])
by server.cpm (Postfix) with ESMTP id 6AD814E449
for domain@test.com; Wed, 17 Mar 2010 05:21:36 +0100 (CET)
Received: by fxm28 with SMTP id 28so685373fxm.39
for domain@test.com; Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:21:36 -0700 (PDT)

There is that line: " for domain@test.com; Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:21:36 -0700 (PDT)", that is -8 hours…

My recommendation is to follow the instructions in the post I mentioned, as well as to verify that your system time is correct :slight_smile:

It’s being classified as spam due to an old rule in SpamAssassin that’s causing problems; that’s fixable by following the directions in the post I mentioned.

-Eric

ok thanks

neorf

just 1 question: is better to activate spamassassin or spamc to reduce cpu usage?
Thanks

neorf

Howdy,

Hrm, those are worded a bit oddly in that page, aren’t they.

I’d recommend using the daemon mode for both ClamAV and SpamAssassin. In SpamAssassin’s case, that would be the “spamc (Client for SpamAssassin filter server spamd)” option.

-Eric