Initial setup issues

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version RHEL 8.5
Virtualmin version 7.0

I have previously installed Virtualmin a couple of time mainly to get a feel for how it works, but now I want to do it properly.

There are things in the initial setup that I would like to understand better, and also some that appear to have changed just recently that appear to be failing.

I will start with a problem.

At the database section, I have selected MySQL/MariaDB, then selected medium, and then put in my own password. All good, but at the end of the setup when running the verify option, it comes up with this message.

“MariaDB does not appear to be installed and running on your system, or has not yet been set up properly in Webmin’s MariaDB Database module. If your system does not use MariaDB, it should be disabled in Virtualmin’s module configuration page.”

Previously I had to do a dance at the password question to get my password in - I am glad that is no longer required, but now it appears to be broken.

Edit: Following the link to the database module and doing the password there gets around the problem, I am just hoping that this could be tidied up to work first time.

Hi there,

Have you used the install.sh from GitHub?
Virtualmin 7 is still not out, you should use the installer for the version 6.x

wget http://software.virtualmin.com/gpl/scripts/install.sh

Also, I just did “dnf update” on an older 6.17 install and that reported as 7. Interesting that it has recently powered off by itself and is now showing 6.17 again.

Weird things be happening! Going to investigate.

Edit: I upgraded a different VM, that is still showing as now being 7.0, the one showing 6.17 hasn’t been upgraded yet.

I just restored a pre-update snapshot and ran “dnf update” again, and it’s now showing “Version 7.0, master admin mode” again.

Should I be bothered that it is reporting Version 7.0 or just keep going?

Is there anything like a change log showing differences from V6 to V7 ?

Yes, this is know issue for RHEL 8.5 and derivatives. It will be fixed in the future.

Meanwhile, you can go to Servers ⇾ MariaDB Database Server and manually enter MariaDB login and password.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.