Incremental backup not being incermental

Ok, in that case the filesystem should be entirely under the control of the VM - this might not be the case if it was a container like OpenVZ or LXC, which is why I asked.

Was this scheduled backup created by the root user, or a domain owner?

The scheduled backup was created by a root user. I am the only person using the Webmin / Virtualmin and I always use the root user.

Ok, so it’s not a permissions issue.

Does the directory /etc/webmin/virtual-server/incremental exist on your system, and if so what does it contain?

Hi Jamie,

There is no incremental file or folder in here:
/etc/webmin/virtual-server

What about in /var/webmin/modules/virtual-server ?

/var/webmin/modules/virtual-server ?

The folder exists, within it a few files owned by different users, all 0700 permission, but the dates are quite old, more than a month ago.

/var/webmin folder is owned by root:bin
/var/webmin/modules is owned by root:bin
/var/webmin/modules/virtual-server → root:root
/var/webmin/modules/virtual-server/incremental → root:root

So there should be one file per domain, named after the domain’s unique numeric ID. You can get the ID of a domain by running virtualmin list-domains --domain example.com --id-only as root at the command line.

Is there a file for the problem domain? If so, try deleting it and re-running a full backup to see if it re-appears?

I did remove all the filed in /var/webmin/modules/virtual-server/incremental (which were old)
First ran a full backup manually (from within Scheduled Backup module), back up finishes with no errors, and at the end /var/webmin/modules/virtual-server/incremental is empty.
Then I ran the daily incremental backup (from within Scheduled Backup module), back up finishes with no errors but it is not incremental, and at the end /var/webmin/modules/virtual-server/incremental is empty.

One more thing I forgot to ask - what compression format are you using for your backups? If it’s ZIP format, this doesn’t support incremental backups.

Hi Jamie, thank you so much for your patience and help. The file name had a .zip extension, after changing it to .tar.gz it is now working as it should be, incremental.

Ok, that would explain it! I will add a check in the next Virtualmin release to prevent ZIP and incremental being used at the same time.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.