IMAP addresses picking up server username

I have an interesting problem where I have installed Roundcube webmail on the server (I have Virtualmin Pro) - when I set up an account roundcube is picking up email addresses as user.domain@domain.com instead of user@domain.com

This obviously is a big problem because the reply-to addresses are incorrect and mail is being bounced - currently I have to manually change these settings, but I need to know how to have it set up on the server so that when I create a new email address I don’t have to go and manually change the settings.

Thanks,

Paul

This requires some support from Round Cube in order to figure out the correct mapping. I’m not sure whether such a plugin exists–SquirrelMail has a virtual hosting plugin for this purpose. Usermin has built-in support for Postfix virtual maps and Sendmail generics tables.

Ah, looks like it can handle it:

http://trac.roundcube.net/wiki/Howto_Config#ConfiguringforVirtualUsers

I think that’s the same format as in /etc/postfix/virtual.

If it works, let me know, and I’ll add it to the default installation configuration in Install Scripts.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the heads up on the link - that works fine with postfix.

Cheers,

Paul

For me the adress works but how can I get roundcube to use the Real Name in front of the mail adress instead of the login? Where does virtualmin save that "Real Name"? Would there be a way to use that instead or to integrate it in /etc/postfix/virtual?
In Usermin it works perfect.

As sender it choses
forename.domain<forename.surname@domain.com> instead of

Forename Surname<martin@domain.com>

obviously it uses /etc/postfix/virtual for the naming which looks like that:
forename.surname@domain.com forename.domain

it should be

forename.domain<forename.surname@domain.com> instead of

Forename Surname<forename.surename@domain.com>

When i want to edit my entry i get:
Oops! You’ve hit a bug in the forum software. It’ll be fixed soon. whe

Hi,

I think I found a way to make this work…

1. make sure you set ‘virtuser_file’ to /etc/postfix/virtual in the roundcube config file (main.inc.php)

2. apply this change to <roundcube-path>/program/include/rcube_user.php, around line 385 or so (using roundcube 0.2 stable)

[code:1]
// replaced this original code
// $user_name = $user != $user_email ? $user : ‘’;
//
// with call to awk (linux utility for text/pattern manipulation)
// that compares the #1 column of /etc/passwd with $user and returns value of #5 column (full name)
// if no usable return value, the original code is used
// it seems exec() returns 0 even if the search string was not found, so $awk_return_value is not used
// NEW FROM HERE
exec(“awk -F: ‘($1==U){print $5}’ U=$user /etc/passwd”, $awk_output, $awk_return_value);

if($awk_output[0] &lt;&gt; ''){
		$user_name = $awk_output[0];
	} else {
		$user_name = $user != $user_email ? $user : '';
	}

// TO HERE

[/code:1]

Step 1) above will map the correct email address to the login account used to log into roundcube

Step 2) attempts to find the Full Name from the /etc/passwd file (you enter this for every account and email user you create) by looking for the login name used to get into roundcube — it effectively instructs awk to search in column 1 (the login names) for the login name used and return the value of column 5 (the Full Name); IF awk doesn’t find anything, the original line of code from the roundcube release is used instead.

Result: 1) makes email addresses in From: appear correctly; 2) makes the user’s first and last name show up in Personal Settings in roundcube without the end user having to set it up manually.

Hope this works for others, too!

Christian