I messed up ssl certs for server and now webmin/virtualmin stop working

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu 20.04
Webmin version REQUIRED
Virtualmin version 7.7
Related packages SUGGESTED

I migrated a cpanel website on virtualmin and i had difficultyes to install ssd certificates.
I messed up from GUI certs and i think i removed cert for webmin server instead of cert from migrated virtualserver.
First apache2 stoped working and i restarted server and now not even webmin is not starting.
I removed line

ssl=1

from /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf
And no effect, i cannot make webmin to start again!

I don’t remember command exactly but try to restart service like sudo /etc/webmin restart ? And see if any errors if not then http…:10000 and go from there…

Edit : webmin/virtualmin does not run on Apache, they run separately even if no Apache runs.

I managed to start it and i think i know where the issue was and why did not started.
I created a new virtualserver to migrate a website on it.
When it created virtualserver the settings were automatically set **[PHP service maximum sub-processes] at 20 processes which lead my server to be overload ram memory and couldn’t open GUI anymore.
That at least was my assumptions. Eventually webmin interface after many restarts/starts of server and processes i managed to enter and disable that virtualserver and check what’s wrong.
Maybe someone with same issue can be helped by my experience.
That setting of default set to FCGId and **[PHP service maximum sub-processes] should be disabled by default when we create a new virtualserver, especially for those who have servers with low ram memory. Mine was set at 20 processes and i think i can workout on template to make it default disabled.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.