I have a question regarding BIND

Hi guys,

Is there anyone who knows what zones and records that should exist by default after a new VM Pro install on Fedora Core 6.

After install the only record was "Root zone".
And after the install of our old box with Fedora Core 4 there was at least "Root zone, localhost, localdomain, 127.0.0, 0, 255"

Should I have these on my new box to, if so, how do I add them. There are so many different ones with a lot of setting to choose from in BIND. I’m not shure how to get this right.

You can also see my support ticket #353 regarding this.

Our old box soon goes “of line” and i’m a bit anxious to get the new box online, all “problems” figured out, and ready, BEFORE I start moving all domains to the new box.

Regards,
Leif

You need to add "localhost, localdomain, 127.0.0" to your bind zone files.

It’s as simple as copying the files over from the old server to the new server. PLEASE NOTE I said files so you need to actually copy the files over and add the correct lines to your /etc/named.conf or /etc/bind/named.conf

Just look at your old named.conf file for the right lines.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your reply… got a bit confused now, when I asked Jamie about this he said that I only needed the "Root zone". Strange is though why the localhost, localdomain and 127.0.0 was added by default on our old server, but not on the new server.

Somehow it feels like they are “needed”, but I don’t know.

I’ll try to copy the old files and add the lines to named.conf if I don’t get some instruction on how to add the correct records directly in the new box.

Thanks again Scott.

Regards,
Leif

Hey Leif,

Generally speaking, you don’t need them. They are used when you have a caching nameserver setup. And, conveniently enough, if you need caching-nameserver functionality, you can install the “caching-nameserver” package on all Red Hat based systems.

Hey Leif,

They are needed only if you have hosts that are relying on the server for name server (or if the server itself is relying on itself for name service).

What I mean by that:

If your server has itself listed as a nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf, then you probably want the local zones. Otherwise, you do not need them.

Most servers do not need them. There isn’t really a “preference” here–it’s whether you’ll be using it as a recursive name server in addition to serving your own names. (And even in the case of recursive name service, most clients don’t actually need local zones to resolve via DNS, since they have them in their hosts file.)

Ok…

We have two other Nameservers, dns1… and dns2… on separate boxes and ip’s (to where the domain is pointed by the registrar). Here I add all domains A, MX and so on, from here i can redirect a domain instantly if needed.

So then I don’t need the other zones/records… am I right?

And the local delivery on the box will still work fine without them… am I right here to?

Regards,
Leif

Hi Joe,

When I asked Jamie he said that I was ok only with the "Root zone", and now people are saying that I DO NEED the other zones/records.

So now I donâ

Hi Joe,

When I asked Jamie he said that I was ok only with the "Root zone", and now people are saying that I DO NEED the other zones/records.

So now I donâ