I dont think cron.daily, cron.weekly etc. are bing run?? How to tell?

I installed Linux Malware Detect which adds a file to run in cron.daily. I noticed it was not running (I was not getting notified, which I did when I run it manually). There are several files in cron.daily. If I go to Webmin -> System -> Scheduled Cron Jobs, the files in cron.daily etc. are not listed in there. Should they be?

If they should be, why would then not be included? I checked several of my servers and cron.daily scripts are not listed in Scheduled Cron Jobs. If they shouldnt be, but are still run, how do I know they are running and find out when they should run so I can see if LMD is running?

I have Centos 6.5 and Virtualmin version 4.09.gpl GPL

Thanks

I found this website that states how to add them, so will try this, but I am concerned why they are not added by default:
http://kiteplans.info/2012/07/04/centos-virtualmin-cronjob-add-hourly-daily-weekly-monthly-missing-fix/

This is my crontab file, no cron jobs, should I add the daily weekly cron to this:

SHELL=/bin/bash PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin MAILTO=root HOME=/

For details see man 4 crontabs

Example of job definition:

.---------------- minute (0 - 59)

| .------------- hour (0 - 23)

| | .---------- day of month (1 - 31)

| | | .------- month (1 - 12) OR jan,feb,mar,apr …

| | | | .---- day of week (0 - 6) (Sunday=0 or 7) OR sun,mon,tue,wed,thu,fri,sat

| | | | |

* * * * * user-name command to be executed

Does this then mean the following have not been ruin, which includes updating virus database:

00webalizer
freshclam
logrotate
makewhatis.cron
maldet
mlocate.cron
mod-pagespeed
prelink
readahead.cron
tmpwatch

Dont need webalizer, I would need freshclam if updates virus database, and I need maldet, but dont know what the rest does.

If I run clamscan -V it looks like clam database is up to date, so I am confused if scripts in cron.daily are running or not, as freshclam is in there

Is it using /etc/anacrontab? If so, then why does this not show in System -> Scheduled Cron Jobs? And as stated, I did not get any Maldet reports on any of my servers this morning (I believe cron.daily should run at 3:05?).

Also, cron.hourly is missing from that

Looking at cron logs it looks as though daily is running OK. So I guess anacron is running them, and these dont appear in Scheduled Cron Jobs causing confusion.

Although I just didn’t get an email log of the malware that LMD found over night, and I get it when I manually run it.

So I think all my cron issues reported above is a red herring, and all OK, just confused by anacron, and not getting maldet alerts.

Howdy,

You should be able to determine from your logs if the cron scripts are being run. Cron shows each item that’s being run in the log file.

You may also want to verify what /etc/crontab looks like, and that the cron process is running.

-Eric

Thanks andreychek, yes the logs show they are running. /etc/crontab is empty though, I guess anacron is running them, and these are not showing in the Scheduled Cron Jobs in Webmin which is why I was confused. daily etc cron are all running for me, its just I was not getting an email from maldet daily.cron script.

By default the messages from LMD go to root@example.net or something similar. Did you check to verify that they are set to go to your email address, and that email alerts are enabled?

Yes I changed the config file, manually running LMD sends the email. The daily cron run does not send an email.