Huge server load average when using usermin with a big mail account

SYSTEM INFORMATION
**OS type and version:**CentOS 7
Webmin version: 1.981
Virtualmin version: 6.17
Related products version: ?

I just noticed that people login into usermin on port 20000 cause a huge spike in processor and ram to the point of failure. Has anyone encountered this problem?

Observations:
If I go to the login page domain.ca:20000 there is no spike and nothing happens. When I log into my account the load average goes from 0.69 to 3.79

htop before / after

journalctl

However, if I login using another small account with little to no emails everything is fine. It seems to be my own email account, which is relatively big.

This is all I get when I try login into my account - I cannot even logout - if I refresh, the server rushes

My Maildir directory is 3.9 gig, and the small account I tested was 649megs

I’m assuming usermin has trouble with big accounts? or some directory in my account with particular files?

Any insight is appreciated

what’s your CPU? I can see it’s 4 core but totals?

Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 9.57.08 AM

you should be just fine with that CPU and ram… my directory is about 15 gigs but I run servers only on SSD, so load takes about second or less…check your HDD perhaps some errors or something or change your existing one for SSD. also allow at least 4gigs for swap with swappines 10. if problem persists try to change distribution to Linux or latest of yours. nothing else come up into my mind unless tons of binary files in those emails ( like jpg files or movies or exe files )

appreciate the input!
This is a VM on digital ocean. The hardware is pretty much all state of the art, and I’m using only 50% of my SSD space. This is not a server performance issue.

However, to your point, I feel like this could be something in my inbox folders, they do not have huge files, but will contain pdf’s and images of course. I would be nice to have a command that could execute to see the output while usermin is loading all my folders and see what it is rushing on…

I think you can check your file with terminal… you can check for biggest files or binary files like jpg etc. perhaps some simple bash script which will spills it out, then move those emails somewhere temporary and then load or log on and see if spikes are still there.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.