HowTo: separate SSL certificate for a subdomain?

Hi there,
I am trying to change the SSL setup within Virtualmin. Currently I have a wildcard SSL certificate issued for *.>mydomain.com<. This works well including the subdomain mail.>mydomain.com<, which hosts all the SMTP/IMAP/POP services for all virtual domains on this machine.

Now I am trying to change the setup to use the following two non-wildcard certificates:
SSL-certificate1 issued for (www.)>mydomain.com< to be used for the (default) website on this server
SSL-certificate2 issued for mail.>mydomain.com< to be used for all the mail services of all virtual servers on this machine

I believe I need to do the following:

1. create a new virtual domain for mail.>mydomain.com< and use the same shared IP address as >mydomain.com<. This needs mail services, website and SSL-website enabled (the later two at least temporarily)
  2. enter the certificate (which has been issued already) for >mydomain.com< at that virtual server
  3. enter the certificate (which has been issued already) for the mail.>mydomain.com< virtual server
  4. copy the certificate on the mail.>mydomain.com< SSL page to the POSTFIX and DOVECOT services.

OR can I short-cut the process by replacing the certificates used by POSTFIX and DOVECOT with the new SSL-certificate2? As well as replacing the current wildcard certificate with SSL-certificate1 for the >mydomain.com< virtual server.

Any insight would be welcome.