How to use virtualmin to manage existing website?

I installed virtualmin on Ubuntu14.04 that was already hosting a website. Now when I log into virtuamin, I don’t see any virtual server, and my previous working website now shows PHP code instead of executing it. I don’t know much technical detail about linux hosting, for all of my sites, I use webmin/virtualmin to manage. So at this point, I don’t know how I can bring the website back and put in under virtualmin’s control.

The website was set up by someone else, its files are still under /home/admin/myweb.site/, and the mysql database is intact also. I could just create a new virtual server in virtualmin, and then move the files to the new virtual server and export/import the database. But for learning purpose, I’d like to know if there is anyway to integrate the existing website into virtualmin so I can manage it without having to go through the whole process.

Right at the top of the download page it says you need to install your operating system from scratch and then install Virtualmin. As far as I know, there is not a way to put Virtualmin on top of an existing web server with active sites. You might want to look at Webmin in those cases.

You’ll have to move the site manually.

1. Create the virtualmin server for the domain.

2. Note where the public_html folder is and copy www files to there. Will probably have to do some chown/chmod to get the permissions right for the user. Owned by the virtualmin domain user, 775 on folders and 664 on files. At least that’s what most of mine show.

3. The data base should be good to go since www data will be pointing to the mysql database already.

AS far as the PHP error. You need to install mod-php for your php version. Think its called something like ‘libapache2-mod-php5’ for Ubuntu. The 5 will change depending on what version of php you have. Then restart apache2.