how to set up 2 new nameservers on virtualmin/webmin

Hello

I just installed Webmin/VirtualMin on a VPS. I would like to define new nameservers and assign IPs to them.

(1) The nameservers I require are “ns1.domain.com” and “ns2.domain.com”. The web host has assigned 2 IPs to my VPS. What do I do to make those nameservers resolve to these 2 IPs? What is required to be done in Webmin/Virtualmin.

(2) I want this setup ( of step 1) to be applied to any new virtual hosts I create in Virtualmin.

If you can point me to a good guide which explains how to do the above, then I will be extremely grateful.

Regards,
Arvind.

Howdy,

This doc here titled “How do I setup nameservers for my server” will get you going in the right direction:

http://www.virtualmin.com/documentation/dns/faq

If you have any additional questions that it doesn’t cover, feel free to let us know!

-Eric

Hello Eric,

Thank you… the doc was very helpful…

I do have one question though… I have added ns1 and ns2 records for the domain for which I want custom nameservers…Do I have to do anything else for the “ns2” record? I mean, do I have to declare this someplace as a nameserver? (I have with me IP addresses for both NS1 and NS2)

I am quite new to webmin, hence please pardon me if my question sounds dumb to you.

Regards,
Arvind.

Howdy,

Yup, for any nameserver, you have to register the IP address as a nameserver with your domain name registrar.

-Eric