How to Remove Virtual Server Domain prefix from mail id

Hi, Help request.
I’m new to virtualmin.
I’m trying to remove prefix from mail id. I’ve tried below settings described in posts but not able to create email without prefix. After the setting I tied to create new user… it is coming as “Email address @p.abc.com” (where Virtual Server Domain name p.abc.com) I was expecting “Email address @abc.com

thanks

Note: I tried below posts - but not succeed.

https://www.virtualmin.com/node/18419
https://www.virtualmin.com/node/9067

Howdy,

How are your emails being sent in this case? What email program is being used?

-Eric

Hi,
I’m using Postfix mail server. it is first time installation.
I created a user “test” and @p.abc.com automatically added as my Virtualmin server name is p.abc.com
If I send mail… recipient getting the mail with mail ID as “test@p.abc.com”. Maildir is ~test@p.abc.com\Maildir
And if recipient reply… that mail not coming to ID “test@p.abc.com” (problem 1)

I’m not able to create mail like “test@abc.com” (problem 2)

Help appreciated.

thanks

Help on this request please - “How to Remove Virtual Server Domain prefix from mail id new”

In Virtualmin, at Edit Virtual Server, what is the domain name?
Is abc.com or p.abc.com?

Hi,
In Virtualmin, at Edit Virtual Server, Domain name p.abc.com

thanks

There is your problem.
Try adding a new (if possible) domain named abc.com or try renaming the current one to abc.com.
You can rename the domain from Server Configuration>Change domain name.
Make a full backup first just in case.

Thanks.

After doing this (change the name of Virtualmin Server)… I do able to create mail id without prefix but… looks something I’m missing

1. I see error in Re-starting DNS server …
  2. Notable to receive mails from new test mail id see below #2

"
Updating Webmin user …
… done

Re-starting DNS server …
… failed : Failed to start BIND : Starting named: Error in named configuration: zone localhost.localdomain/IN: loaded serial 0 zone localhost/IN: loaded serial 0 zone 1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.ip6.arpa/IN: loaded serial 0 zone 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa/IN: loaded serial 0 zone 0.in-addr.arpa/IN: loaded serial 0 zone abc.com/IN: NS ‘p.abc.com’ has no address records (A or AAAA) zone abc.com/IN: not loaded due to errors. _default/abc.com/IN: bad zone [FAILED]

Applying web server configuration …
"
2)
Updating Webmin user …
… done

Re-starting DNS server …
… failed : Failed to start BIND : Starting named: Error in named configuration: zone localhost.localdomain/IN: loaded serial 0 zone localhost/IN: loaded serial 0 zone 1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.ip6.arpa/IN: loaded serial 0 zone 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa/IN: loaded serial 0 zone 0.in-addr.arpa/IN: loaded serial 0 zone abc.com/IN: NS ‘p.abc.com’ has no address records (A or AAAA) zone abc.com/IN: not loaded due to errors. _default/abc.com/IN: bad zone [FAILED]

Applying web server configuration …

Also, not anle to receive mails (from test@abc.com)… mail delivery faliure message…

"
This is the mail system at host p.abc.com.

I’m sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It’s attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

test-abc.com@abc.com (expanded from
test@abc.com): User unknown in virtual alias table
"

Is this a new install?
If yes, it would be faster and cleaner to start over, setting up things correctly from start.
Meaning the correct domain from start, abc.com

The bounce error states you do not have a test@abc.com user
Check “Edit users” in Virtualmin and see if you have it.