how to get server to display Owner/Group as names and not numbers?

I have this issue when connecting to my virtualmin server with filezilla. u

Under Owner/Group, it displays user and group ids instead of their names.

According to filezilla forums, this is because of the server configuration and not a problem with filezilla itself.

If that is the case, then its a Virtualmin setting in Pro ftp yes?

How do i change this so filezilla displays correctly?

My understanding is that it is something to do with the server providing support for MLSx (MLST and MLSD) now that Filezilla doesnt use the plain old LIST command?

(BTW, the filemanager in Virtualmin displays as names)

If that is the case, then its a Virtualmin setting in Pro ftp yes?

It’s not a Virtualmin setting – what you’re seeing there are the default ProFTPd settings.

I’m not a big FTP user, so I’m not too sure off the top of my head… however, I’ll offer that I don’t see that issue with the command line FTP client.

That is, if I run “ftp localhost”, and then log in as my user, it shows the username and group name, not the ID’s.

If FileZilla is doing something different to get the directory listing, I’m not quite sure what setting you’d need to tweak to get the output you’re after… do they perhaps offer what setting in ProFTPd could be used to get that?

-Eric

Hi Andrew,
to be honest, i have found filezilla forum administrators obnoxious and unhelpful. They almost always reply that there is nothing wrong with their program and its a problem on the other end…without offering any experience on solutions. Very frustrating.

I will attempt to see if i can find a pro ftp solution as i agree this would be the pathway to success. Isnt it fortunate that at least Virtualmin filemanager tells me who the owner and group are by name. Makes its easy to cross reference with stupid filezilla id’s !

Well, I get it that FileZilla is what most FTP users use… it’s definitely the most talked about FTP program around here.

Alas, I just don’t use it a whole lot myself, and hadn’t heard of this issue before :slight_smile:

If another FTP client is an option, might I suggest taking a look at WinSCP? When I’m in Windows world, I tend to go that direction.

However, with any luck someone else who ran into your issue while chime in!

-Eric

WinSCP YUP

Fil… is pfffffffffffffffffffffffffff. iF hacked account paswords and so on oft a fil… client-user is causing such

Don’t know or it is User with lack of knowledge and lazy, or the Programm, but wen having filez… i tend to forbid using clients/user that Proggie

you may find this useful http://www.proftpd.org/docs/modules/mod_facts.html