How to bootup server?

Hi Guys, introducing the poor misguided fool: me!
I’ve installed mcrypt using instructions noted here.

Then I’ve rebooted system using reboot button and it showed me: “system is going to reboot using shutdown -r command, are you sure?” or something like that. and I pressed yes. system has not bootup then, so I can’t access the server anymore. How can I reboot the server?! (it’s Redhat Fedora 9)
thanks.<br><br>Post edited by: lajevardi, at: 2008/08/28 21:29

Oops - hit refresh and got a double post.<br><br>Post edited by: webwzrd, at: 2008/08/28 18:26

Despite your reference to a “reboot button”, I’m guessing you are accessing your box remotely. Do you have ssh access to it?

I’m sitting behind a windows for now, if it matters.
and I have tried to connect to the server using filezilla client and it fails (via root).
if I could access ssh, which instructions I have to run on server?!
many thanks for your reply :slight_smile:

I would try to ping your server’s IP address and see if you get a response. If it’s down, either use remote reboot if available or ask your data center for help.

If ping makes contact then ssh into the server and type "reboot" at the command line.

Howdy,

First off, I don’t think it was installing mcrypt that made it so you can’t access the system, something else is going on :slight_smile:

Second, can you clarify what exactly isn’t working? It sounds like you’re saying both FTP and Virtualmin aren’t responding?

Are you able to ping the box (from the windows commandline, you can type: ping YOURDOMAIN.com)?

If so, then the box itself may be online, it may just be one or more services that are unavailable.

You can try installing Putty to access the system via SSH from within Windows. Putty is available here:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

At which point, you can start the services that aren’t running ("/etc/init.d/webmin start" – for example).

If you can’t ping the box though, it sounds like it may not have booted up, and you may need console access to figure out what exactly happened (it may simply be powered off – or there might be an error displayed on the console).
-Eric

that’s the IP: 62.60.136.193. I’ve pinged and got no result, it’s down.
So I can’t login using WinSCP to ssh server. how can I reboot server remotely? in other words how could I know that it’s available or not? sorry if it sounds so simple.

I agree, I’m not seeing anything at that IP.

Where is your server sitting right now? For example, is there an ISP you’re paying to host it for you?

What I might do is give them a call, and ask them for assistance. They might have a way for you to remotely access your system, or at least remotely reboot it. Or, they might even be willing to look at the console and tell you what, if any, errors are on the screen.

Your options are dependent on who is housing your server though.
-Eric

Hi,
First: yeah I accept. After installing mcrypt I must reboot the apache web server, I think. but I reboot the physical server.
Second: no, I can’t Andrey. it fails to ping.
many thanks for your time :slight_smile:

that’s my university hosting and I have not to pay any money. and I think that’s a VPS.
yeah, I email 'em and informed them about the issue but still there is no answer.

pick up a phone and call the systemadministrator there
or go to the university personally

o if it is a vps then you will have a seperate control panel to remotely reboot the server as well.

yes, I should wait till morning.
and about vps, I have not the vps control panel.

After installing mcrypt I must reboot the apache web server, I think. but I reboot the physical server.

Just for future reference:

There is only one reason to ever reboot a Linux system, and that’s a kernel upgrade. OK, a hard lockup of some sort in the kernel is also a good reason. But again…only kernel issues should ever be answered with a reboot. Obviously, rebooting a system should work–you never know when you’ll need to reboot for a kernel upgrade. But, it’s not something you do for random configuration changes. It’s a bad habit to be in, and a waste of your time. Linux and UNIX are not Windows. Rebooting is not something you should expect to do often…certainly not when modifying Apache configuration.