How to add a 2nd IP address?

Hi wattaman,

for me my way did work just fine.

Now I have a second server (a newer one) with Virtualmin running. There I could add my second IP to "eth1" instead of a virtual interface to "eth0". Obviously it depends on the server hardware. My new server is a newer and bigger one.

But don’t forget to add, after you’ve set the address to the network, the second IP in Virtualmin --> “Addresses and Networking” --> “Shared IP Addresses”.

Karl

thanks, m8! I’ve tried your way… no luck :frowning:
As I’ve said before, I have 2 IPs. The IP I want to use the separate domain is showing the corect site (should display an error now since is not installed) … but the domain is pointing to one site from the other IP (which now has 4 domain set up to use it and all working).

So, if the separate IPs are workimg, why the domain that hosts on the second IP points to a domain hosted on the other IP?

I’ve attached photos to make things more clear:

Am I missing something?
Thank you!

Does it work now? Because if I look at http://3dex.co.uk/ I see your (not installed) site.

Maybe I did not understand your problem because of my lack of english language.

You’re right. I’ve just browsed the address through proxy.org and it shows the right site.
Directly, I still get the other IP.
I think that, in the end, the new DNSs haven’t already reached the ISPs from Greece (things works so slow here).

In other word, sorry for the fake alarm. Following your first tutorial works fine. With the second IP set up as virtual of the first one.
Thank you for this!

BTW, you might want to remove my link since, when it will be ready, will be an 18+ site - dunno if virtualmin.com wants to link to such content :slight_smile:
Cheers!

Fine, that it works now.

Unfortunately I can’t edit my post because of an old bug in this forum software: “Oops! You’ve hit a bug in the forum software. It’ll be fixed soon.”

Maybe the moderator will remove the link. I personally don’t have any problems with 18+ sites :wink:

Cheers from Germany to Greece!

Unfortunately I can't edit my post because of an old bug in this forum software: "Oops! You've hit a bug in the forum software. It'll be fixed soon."

Well, unfortunately, the forum software goes out of it’s way to be “difficult”. Not even the moderators can resolve that without actually deleting the post :slight_smile:

But, it’s no biggy.

This is a forum for troubleshooting issues with web servers and web sites – we fully expect some links to them. It can make troubleshooting much easier when actually seeing the problem in real time!

So long as the post doesn’t appear to be spam (which this isn’t) and somehow relates to Virtualmin (which this does!), you’re in the clear! :slight_smile:
-Eric

totally confused by the info here:

could not find out how to add the 2nd IP address in Virtualmin.

did it through Webmin - Networking - network Configuration - Host Addresses.
there I added IP address and domain name
then applied configuration.

then I went in adnd created the virtaula domain choosing this IP address.

is this OK ?

First, if it worked, than it’s probably okay :slight_smile:

However, in the future, if I were going to add a second IP, I would either:

1. Go into Virtualmin -> Addresses and Networking -> Shared IP Addresses, and add it there if it’s meant to be shared

2. Or you could go into Edit Virtual Server -> IP address and interfaces, and add it as a Virtual Interface, which is private to that Virtual Server, if it’s intended to be just for that one domain.

ok, will remember that for future.

I’m waiting for the the other IP address to be moved to see if this actually works.
this IP is for SSL and will only be used by this domain

Thanks for the input.

Can the IP that is only being used for "ns2" also be used for something else ?

EG for SSL websites ?

Or would I need to ask for a thiÅ

Thanks for the input.

EG for SSL websites ?

Thanks for the input.

EG for SSL websites ?

Great explanation for a newbie like me to get a grasp of what Im getting myself into. Still a bit intimidating … especially when you start reading the webmin documentation.

excellent description !