How much memory Virtualmin use

How memory hungry Virtualmin is? If i use VPS with 1G ram, how large slice Virtualmin use from that?

WOW, that is too much

I guess it depends, what features and plugins you use and how heavy is the load. Virtualmin itself doesn’t consume much memory, what does, are the servers Apache, MySQL etc which consume memory. Based on my expierence with all features on, with almost 0 load, the whole thing takes about 400-500MB of RAM. This will varie on system load.

Tere won’t be anything, that would consume less, as I have told already, servers Apache, MySQL etc will take the memory not Virtualmin itself. Virtualmin itself maybe takes around 20 MB or so.

Aah, ok, well thats sounds good.

Yeah, you can do some tuning on your system to cut the RAM usage down… on my box (which is also a VPS, with 1.5GB of RAM), the Webmin process looks like this:

root 7183 0.0 1.8 31852 27968 ? Ss Dec13 0:01 /usr/bin/perl /usr/share/webmin/miniserv.pl /etc/webmin/miniserv.conf

So that’s about 30MB of RAM, with roughly 27MB of that being shared. That’s not too bad :slight_smile:

Actually, the thing that’ll really chew through a lot of resources is Virus and Spam processing – the daemons for ClamAV and SpamAssassin each use a lot of RAM. If you’re able to offload email to another server (a lot of folks like Google Apps for that these days, for example), that would spare you a lot of resources.

Now, you can opt to not use the clam and SA daemons, instead using the full command line versions of those each time an email comes in… which spares you from using a lot of RAM all the time, and switches you to using more CPU intensive applications. I think the tradeoff isn’t worth it, but you might consider exploring it if you’re in need of RAM :slight_smile:

After you’ve installed Virtualmin, it’ll ask you some questions relating to that as part of the post-installation setup.

-Eric

I am having second thoughts about this. I am noob with servers, from that perspective
that kind of GUI would be handy. Other hand, i am going to run just 1G VPS with
4-10 websites, all of my own. I dont need create accounts anyone etc and i
think is Virtualmin too much. What do you recommend?

I use a VPS with only 360 MB of ram. I host two websites on it, and several active email accounts with both virus and spam filtering:

[rjones@server1 ~]$ free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 360 266 93 0 10 90
-/+ buffers/cache: 165 194
Swap: 255 200 55
[rjones@server1 ~]$

194 MB of RAM free. Used cache does not count against “free” RAM, as it can be swapped out without negative consequences. The whole point of RAM is to use it. Just install Virtualmin, you will be fine.

I dont need create accounts anyone etc and i think is Virtualmin too much. What do you recommend?

Yeah, just remember that the memory footprint of Virtualmin itself is pretty small. But at the same time, it allows you to manage a pretty large set of tools – as well as configuring a lot of those tools for you so that things are working for you out of the box.

And if there’s things installed that you don’t need, no problem, just stop the service so that more RAM/CPU is available to the remainder of your system.

If at the end of the day, you just aren’t happy with it, no problem, just uninstall it :slight_smile:

-Eric

having it and loving it! https://www.virtualmin.com/node/12749