Ubuntu 22.04: Switching network configuration from DHCP to static

SYSTEM INFORMATION
OS type and version Ubuntu Linux 22.04.1
Webmin version 1.999
Usermin version 1.854
Virtualmin version 7.1-1
Theme version 19.99
Package updates All installed packages are up to date

I have put the above system on a new vps and added a new ip address and the results were

and

but after reboot the result is

any ideas on how to fix this ? as you can see webmin has switched the IP’ saround

@jimr1,

Webmin didn’t change anything. Your system did, likely dictated by a network configuration.

Who did you setup your VPS with?

*** Simply affordable, honest and professional tech support https://tpnasist.com ***

Even though I added the IP through the virtualmin/webmin interface the O/S just guessed that I was adding an ip & the IP address as well ? I’ll continue with the nag screen telling me the IP has changed as everything appears to work correctly. That said I did the same thing on 20.04 with no issues the only thing I did was to reprovision the vps with 22.04 and reinstall webmin/virtualmin via the correct install script

The “update incorrect Ip addresses” normally does a good good of change all incorrect IP for you virtual servers. Have you used that button, if so is the nag still there? IP’s have to be correct on all vitual servers not just network settings.

However the IP is not correct so why should I change it ?

@jimr1,

I’m curious to see this nag screen you are speaking of. All my servers run Ubuntu 20.04, so perhaps this is an issue with 22.04 or a bug somewhere else.

If you’ve got time tomorrow, let’s do a brief screen sharing session so I can see what you see.

*** This brief consult will be at no cost if you’re interested ***

Look at the 3rd image you will see the nag screen, I was in hospital the last few days hence I didn’t respond

Another odd thing that happens is,if you add a new virtual server through the VM interface, the dns records are set to the 185 ip address and the virtualmin count adds 1 to the 109 ip address

@tpnsolutions it would appear to be a bug but what do
I know

Just as an update here if you add a new domain using VM it add dns records pointing to the what is now the dedicated address but every other mention of ip address points to the now default address and does not render anything @staff how can I get things to work again ?

Possible fix
the netplan yaml file looked wrong after VM configured the new IP address it was

network:
  ethernets:
        ens192:
            dhcp4: true
            addresses: ['109.228.35.223/32']
            nameservers:
                addresses: [127.0.0.53]
                search: [.]
            accept-ra: true
  version: 2

to fix the issue I had to edit it to this

network:
  ethernets:
        ens192:
            dhcp4: true
            addresses: 
                - 185.132.42.12/32
                - 109.228.35.223/32
            nameservers:
                addresses: [127.0.0.53]
                search: [.]
            accept-ra: true
  version: 2

everything appears to work correctly and the warning/nag has gone and all sites resolve correctly (after the one created after netplan changes which I just reverted to the default IP, rather than the one VM thought it was) This may help some one in the future

Just a thought, as I will be adding more ip’s to this server will I have to do this each time ?

It will be done automatically.

Also, both syntaxes are correct, i.e.:

addresses: 
   - 185.132.42.12/32
   - 109.228.35.223/32

and

addresses: ['185.132.42.12/32', '109.228.35.223/32']

Why did it not do this when I added the last IP ? It put in the new address and deleted the original one

Can you show a screenshot of a page where you added it?

here it is

Does this error still happen with Webmin 2.001 and Virtualmin 7.2? It worked for me.

If that still doesn’t work for you – what is the exact (screenshot) error message that you get?

There is no error until reboot then you just get this

@Jamie, that is somewhat expected, right if primary IP address is assigned (i.e. dhcp4: true) automatically?

Perhaps, we should convert currently active IP address assigned with DHCP to a static IP in case additional IPs are added to the interface?

@Ilia,

This does appear to be the proper behavior as his IP address is changing, so yeah the nag screen is telling him to apply an update so that things continue to work as expected.

He should set the “Default IP” to the “Dedicated IP” rather than the “Dynamic IP”.