Hosting virtualmin from home

So I’m hosting myself from home (localhost) and can access the admin site from home via ipaddress:10000. When I’m outside of my network, the sites work fine typing in the domain names. What I can’t seem to do is access the main site to test it while I’m on the same network. I’m only able to access the last domain that I created if I type in the ip address, but not the main system hostname domain. Typing in the domain name only brings me to my router (which is 192.168.0.1). I thought there would be a little trick like ipaddress/~domainname, but that is not working.
Thanks.

Hi,

and can access the admin site from home via ipaddress:10000. When I’m outside of my network, the sites work fine typing in the domain names. What I can’t seem to do is access the main site to test it while I’m on the same network. I’m only able to access the last domain that I created

Try to edit Apache VirtualHost related entries and make them all listen on *:80 rather than IP:80. Virtualmin has a configurable option Always use * for Address format for Apache virtual hosts under Defaults for new domains on System Settings > Virtualmin Configuration page.

1 Like

Thanks. tried this and then input my domain and same thing…maybe I will reboot server to see if that changes things. Thanks for the help.

Consumer routers rarely support access to the public IP from the local network.

It’s a tricky bit. I have made it work, but I’m not sure how probably because I have listed servers Ip as DMZ on the router. But idea is that that this usually doesn’t work with a home router, I don’t know in detail why, but in reality, when you call to DNS you redirected to your own personal router from public side and there is a confusion for router. Simply append your PC /host file with static maping
192.168.0.123 www.yoursupperweb.com
then PC wont even asks DNS and will go stright to server address.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.