Help with Virtualmin backup

Hey everyone… it has been awile… i am having a small but yet a big problem… Joe you might be able to help me on this… i was trying to backup my Virtualmin servers… it did most of them and errored out… that is fine so i redid it… Now i have No space on my HDD it says Failed to write to /etc/webmin/apache/site when closing : No space left on device even when i try to goto my Virtualmin links on the right… Where is it storing the Archive? i know it is storing the Domains that it did but it did not move them to the off site back it is still storing them on the server and taken up my space can someone help me on this one…
Jdamron

Howdy,

Well, if you didn’t specify for the backups to go to an FTP or SSH server, they’d be stored in a directory on the local server That would be specified in the Backup and Restore menu on the left hand side.

Also, it uses /tmp/.webmin as a temp dir while performing the backups, so you’d need to make sure /tmp had enough space. If something went wrong, it’s possible that some files are in there still.

-Eric

ok check the /tmp/.webmin Not there
was suppose to save it to a Storage drive it did not store it there… like i said it errored out before anything was save… i am totaly confused with this one… its not in the tmp dir… not where is should have been saves… where else would it be…

Note that the /tmp/.webmin directory is a hidden directory (. at the front of any file or directory name makes it invisible in a normal directory list). An “ls -a” might reveal the directory does exist there.

The temp directory for Webmin is configurable in the Webmin Configuration under Advanced Options>Temporary files directory.

yes joe i know that it is a hidden dir… but there is nothing in the dir… and that is what is used… BUT for some reason… i can not find where these files are… they where to go in the backup HDD but they did not What happened joe was i was doing a Full backup… it errored out on my twice… and now it is saying i have no Space on the HDD but if i look at the stats on webmin of the server it says i have over 40 gigs left…
i cant figure it out… hope you can

OK, so it sounds like we’re not even sure there’s a space issue. Time for a bit of spelunking so we know what we need to look at. :wink:

What’s the output of:

df -h

Ok here it is

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda3 9.7G 9.7G 0 100% /
/dev/hda1 788M 33M 715M 5% /boot
none 502M 0 502M 0% /dev/shm
/dev/hda2 62G 32G 28G 54% /home
/dev/hda6 36G 9.7G 25G 29% /var

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/hda3 9.7G 9.7G 0 100% /

/dev/hda1 788M 33M 715M 5% /boot

none 502M 0 502M 0% /dev/shm

/dev/hda2 62G 32G 28G 54% /home

/dev/hda6 36G 9.7G 25G 29% /var
Take a look at hda3 that is where the HD has no space… and the files where not backed up too that Drive…

The root partition is where /tmp lives. But also looks like /var lives there, so I’m guessing that’s where things took a turn for the worse.

You can find out where the most usage is doing something like:

du -xh --max-depth=2 / > disk-usage.txt

And then you can look over the file disk-usage.txt for clues about where things are unexpectedly large. I’m betting it’s somewhere in /tmp or /var.

Acually it cleared its self out… gess it takes time because i fell asleep last night and today it was cleared… so i dont know why or how but it fixed its self… just thought i would let you know… thanks for all the info… i owe you all one… have fun good luck…
John