Help me setup a bridge for cloudmin

I am frustrated as I’m a newbie here on setting up this system to work with cloudmin.

I have webmin/usermin/virtualmin all installed with a functioning DNS server for main records and a server.local

Heres the thing I can’t get cloudmin fully working as it requires a bridge interface.

Failed to save KVM host : KVM host system does not have any network bridges - these are needed for KVM instance networking

Here is my interfaces file as I type this.

I have the server on ip 192.168.1.1 as a static ip lease using dhcp in my router as before the dns server module I was using a basic fake DNS on my router called a dns suffic.

When I installed cloudmin it installed but couldn’t find and setup a bridge interface to eth0 thats because my system ‘Ubuntu Server 14.04’ uses em1 and was installed automatically this way and wish to keep it if I could.

Im not sure how to setup this bridge interface for cloudmin.

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system

and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

The loopback network interface

auto lo em1
iface lo inet loopback

The primary network interface

iface em1 inet dhcp

My ip ranges are as follows.

Server 192.168.1.1
DHCP from Router 192.168.1.254 on a lease of 192.168.1.10 > 192.168.1.30
I am planning to setup the VM’s in a range of 192.168.1.50 > 192.168.1.100 under KVM Host Settings

So can someone please give me a very simple way to sort this out with the bridge interface?

Don’t I feel like a noob.

All that trouble and time and all I needed to do was create the bridge listed in the docs but change eth0 to em1.

em1 is known as built in ethernet on the mobo etc fedora uses this and seems so does ubuntu for things.

To work it out I installed a test server on another machine and read the interfaces file manually before and after installing cloudmin…

Don’t I feel like a noob.

All that trouble and time and all I needed to do was create the bridge listed in the docs but change eth0 to em1.

em1 is known as ‘embedded network’ for built in ethernet on the mobo etc fedora uses this and seems so does ubuntu for things.

The cloudmin script should be updated to, scan for em1 interfaces as well as DHCP systems as I had to rerun the entire script as a result of DHCP.

To work it out I installed a really dodgy test server on another machine and read the interfaces file manually before and after installing cloudmin…