hash:/etc/postfix/virtual deleting entries!

Hi, I hope you can help me.

I have the GPL version of Virtualmin (great work!).
I have 2 domains added in via Virtualmin and set up multiple email accounts - everything is working fine.

BUT, just yesterday, all mail aliases have been deleted! If I now go in to Postfix’s Virtual Domains section, the domains are not there.
This has resulted in emails not getting through to the server - they just keep bouncing back with this:

MYIPADDRESS does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 554[email@emailaddress.com>: Relay access denied
Giving up on MYIPADDRESS.

(obviously MYIPADDRESS is actually my ip address)

Please can somebody help? Everything was working fine, but all of a sudden, without me doing anything, the Virtual domains mapping file in postfix has lost virtualmin info.

thanks in advance.

ps. oh, should mention - I have another control panel installed (not though my own choice - host installed it when purchased dedicated server). Could this be resetting the mapping file back to it’s default somehow? Perhaps upon reboot? Thanks again.

Hey Steven,

It does seem likely that the other control panel is doing something nasty to your /ec/postfix/virtual maps file–or possibly switching the system over to using a differnet mail server. We’ve never had any reports of bug(s) in Virtualmin that might lead to this.

You could check the obvious locations for things like this to happen on reboot, and see if you can make it stop.

You can list startup services with a couple of commands…find out your runlevel:

[[root@delilah ~]]# runlevel
N 5

Where my current runlevel is 5 (it’ll probably be 3 on a server).

And then:

[[root@delilah ~]]# chkconfig --list | grep 5:on

Where you replace the number in “5:on” with your current runlevel. Look for any service names that might be related to this other control panel, and either dig into the file by that name in /etc/init.d to see if your hunch is correct, or if you’re sure…you can shut it down with:

[[root@delilah ~]]# chkconfig --level 345 servicename off

You should also check /etc/rc.local for anything odd.

There’s a lot of other possibilities for where the problem could come from, but since I’ve never seen it happen, it’s nearly impossible to guess what it is in this specific case.